Celibacy/Abstinence/Food and Exercise

Beloved Dhananjay,

Is there a period of digestive rest that my body needs before exercising after my full morning Yoga-schedule?

Erik Messick

1. A tall glass of water on waking up, followed by a glass of milk before Yoga and another milk beverage after the Sadhana is recommended. One can give a half an hour break after the morning Sadhana and eat breakfast.

2. One can sit in the sitting-leaning position for a while if a need for rest is felt. It is best to avoid sleep during daytime. Keeping the body & mind active (without sleep) during Sun up ensures deep, sound and interruption-free sleep at night, which confers health, strength & well being.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.