Celibacy/Abstinence/Brahmacharya seems too easy

QUESTION: I read about your experience during your first two years of Brahmacharya on having frequent bouts of illness and some very severe. I've been sick a few times during my first four months without having any slips. But I am taking medications(some lower sperm count) from doing schizophrenic activity in the past. I've started to exercise(running) since this past week, but I've improved quite dramatically as before I wasn't practicing Brahmacharya.

I've pretty much eliminated desire for a lot things including a relationship/friendship with a girl. I always keep my thought in check if the desire reappears(this happens a lot right now). I also feel that I'll pay the price if I get attached to enjoyment of any of the five senses(indulging in foods that taste good, listening to soothing music, etc.) Since I've started running again I've just been eating salads with no dressing, drinking only water and milk, and fruits, and a bag of candy(once a week).

I always thought that Brahmacharya could help anyone achieve a task that seems impossible(physical or mental).

It seems like all you have to do is perform your sadhana on daily basis, and the rest will get taking care of. But I always thought we're suppose to suffer to burn off all the happiness we had in the past. It's like the "no pain no gain" saying. I thought we should create our own suffering but do it slowly.

What type of challenges(we should create our own challenge) occur in the later stages of Brahmacharya?

ANSWER: 1. Nothing more than performing honest and unbroken Sadhana, with surrender to God is required. To him who subjugates the Ego, remains humble and has perseverance in applying the Yama-Niyama-s of Yoga, all situations get tided over.

2. One should not become overconfident, thinking he has achieved invincibility, just by a few months or years of Sadhana. He will soon be humbled by the next layer of Samskara-s, which surface with enough turbulence to unsettle him, as a leaf get thrown about in a whirlwind.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: Is there a book for how long we do the asana practices(they look impossible to do).I'm very inflexible and I have chronic pain in my hip when I get further in my running training.

ANSWER:  Asana-s are to be applied, for as long as comfortable. The duration gradually increases with practice, in the course of time.

ॐ तत् सत्

QUESTION: I found a book on amazon called Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha. It has over 400 practices(poses). Should I spread all these practices throughout the week/months and become a master within 3-5 years?

It suffices if the Asana-s suggested in past answers are applied, in the way advised. One's aim should be to perform Asana-s to help easen the further practices of Pranayama, Pratyahara & meditation, so as to attain Samadhi and not become an acrobat performing physical poses. This much and not more is the significance of Asana-s. The mind should focus on merging into the self. That should be the focus.

ॐ तत् सत्

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.