Celibacy/Abstinence/Foods prescribed for a Brahmachari

Hello Sir,
I have read Swami Sivananda's book on Brahmacharya. I have seen his list of forbidden food items which include onion and garlic. However I am unable to avoid onion as it is a frequently used ingredient in our family recipes. Also, within a few months, I will be trekking at the Himalayas, where fresh food is difficult to get (Swami had strictly advised not to eat food left over for days) and I have been advised to eat garlic as it is in an extremely cold region. Should I still avoid garlic? These are my two concerns. If necessary, I am ready to cancel the trip.

Another query: How do I get good sleep? Every norning I wake up, I don't feel energised. I have to get up and go to college. I never feel active throughout the day.

1. Those are general pointers, to be applied when possible. When one ventures outside, it may not be possible for strict enforcement of the same. Hence beginner Yogi-s are advised to venture out only when necessary.

2. If a life of Yoga & Brahmacharya, with all the suggested Yogic practices is applied, with 4.00 A.M wake up and 9.00~9.30 P.M sleep, deep sleep will come in the course of time.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.