Celibacy/Abstinence/Frequency of Practice

Beloved Dhananjay,

How many sadhanas (Asana, Bindhus, Nadi Sadhana, Pranayama, Meditation) can I do per a day? I am doing 2 a day; one during Brahmimuhurtham and the other before dinner at 6.

5 minutes in Nadi Sadhana is recommended, but should we move up in the amount of time we practice it in each session? I feel that 5 minutes is short.

Also, there is scientific evidence that our testosterone cycle runs on a weekly cycle, climaxing after 7 days of abstinence. I can see this having a incredible impact in my life on the 6th and 7th days of every week that I keep Brahmacharya in the form of strength, mental focus, personal power, etc. Can you give us insight on why this happens?

Also, can you give us your insight on why it is said in the bible that we should rest on Sabbath days in order to give our bodies and minds rest? Surely we shouldn't rest from our Sadhana though, right?

Might my 7th day of the cycle by my true Sabbath day? Sunday is the day for church.

Thank you,

1. Yes, that should suffice.

2. No.

3. Do your Sadhana and focus at merging the mind into the self. What happens internally, as regards the body & its hormones is only fanciful curiosity, which is a distraction. That which has to happen will happen, by the will of the higher power, who has been running the body as required, ever since birth, when you knew nothing about it.

4. Sadhana should be as regular as sleep, food and other activities. One's self is itself the Lord. How can one rest from prayer, which is worship of one's own self?

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.