Celibacy/Abstinence/Progress in Pranayama

I am wondering if I should continue pranayama. It seems all progress has come to a standstill. I am still at 32 second retentions despite nearly 9 months of brahmacharaya. I should be close to 64 seconds but I am nowhere near that close. What is to be done? Am I unfit for pranayama?

ANSWER: Judging progress or failure is not in your purview, which ends at effort. One should hold trust in Sadhana and practice unceasingly, even if it were to take ages or many births.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: As a beginner yogi, should I avoid travel as much as possible, and avoid worldly mixing? Sometimes, I'm forced to do this because of these job interviews/networking occasions.

Those are general pointers. If your devotion, commitment and trust in Sadhana are complete, everything is taken care of by the higher power. Such is the road offered by HIM to the unswerving Yogi who wants nothing but HIM and who trust HIM completely, as a little baby trusts its mother.

ॐ तत् सत्

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.