Celibacy/Abstinence/Sensual & Intellectual Pleasures

An aspirant must focus his or her energy into constructive activity, which includes moderate physical exercise and intellectual tasks.

Sensual pleasures range from the lowest of the low, which include sexual tricks and orgasm, all the way to classical music, which may be regarded as a refined sensual pleasure. These pleasures must be shunned by the aspirant.

Several questions, sir:

If the sex pleasure is so terrible to the Jiva, and binds the Jiva terribly, and ruins the Jiva at the physical, mental and karmic level for the level of pleasure it affords the Jiva, why does the Jiva so blindly follow a pleasure that leads to destruction on all fronts?

I am trying to pursue intellectual pleasures during my break, but the mind is so weaned to sensual pleasures (such as music) that it is difficult to cultivate interest in intellectual pleasures. How to cultivate interest in intellectual pleasures and maintain concentration in intellectual activities? I believe this, combined with regular physical exercise, for me, along with yoga and meditation twice a day is proper transmutation. Currently, I am using the force of my willpower, which is not terribly strong to stand against the agitation of the senses. The normal motivation for intellectual activity is desire for worldly achievement (for more sensual pleasures), but because I do not care about what I achieve in the world, I have no great desire for intellectual pleasures or activity.

Also, if a man's wife cheats on him or elopes with another man (and there is no legal consequence), can the common worldly man kill his wife or the man she sleeps with? Is that within religious norms? I know vengeance is not allowed for a yogi, but for a worldly man, is it permissible under certain circumstances (as he is still under the influence of his own ego)? Will the man bear negative karma for doing so?

1. Avidya (Maya) makes the Ego run after sense stimulation, further to lack of identification with the Atman (self), which itself is bliss.

2. There is no harm in listening to music occasionally, as long as the music is not sexually stimulating, one reminds himself that the beauty of music also stems from the Lord & does not get attached to the music itself.

3. Sadhana becomes strong, when practiced for a long time, in an unbroken and consistent manner. One should be patient and persevere tirelessly, without expectation. Then, stability starts to trickle, after a long time.

4. One does not have the right to kill another for personal reasons, be it a Yogi or a non-Yogi.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.