Celibacy/Abstinence/Action & Reaction

Question
QUESTION: Hi Sir,

Good day..

If someone abuses us physically or verbally and if I retaliate in anger to control them and to teach a lesson to them for their mistake will it constitute a negative Karma?
Sir, I am asking this question because in my each step of my day today life this concept of Karma is disturbing that if I am doing negative Karma, even in simple things...

Please help me Sir..

Vimal.

ANSWER: 1. Every action performed with Ego consciousness generates karma, be it good or bad.

If someone abuses you physically, verbally or even in thought at the personal level, an instant karma is accrued by the abuser, which he or she will have to pay for, now or later. Such karma accrued will itself punish the doer, without fail, in the course of time. One is punished by his sin itself. Why then should you retaliate in anger or try to teach them a lesson?

The abuser has identified with his Ego while performing a malefic action under the grip of ignorance. The karma generated by this action will follow him and ensure that the required punishment is awarded, at the destined time, in the way required. This is the truth and there need be no doubt about this.

If you fall prey to anger, retaliate and try to teach him or her a lesson by taking the law into your hands, you identify with the Ego and perform another malefic action, for which you too will have to bear the fruit. Earlier, there was only the abuser who identified with his Ego and performed a wrong. He alone was answerable. Now, you too have fallen in line with him, becoming a party to the act of ignorance, resulting in another karmic act of negativity. Now both of you are in the same boat. There is no difference between the two of you.

Therefore, the wise Yogi does not take recourse to such a line of thought or action at the personal level. He forgives the wrong doer, wishes him well and holds on to his self, not letting the Ego get in between. That is true surrender to God. Letting go of the Ego which is what gets hurt is real surrender. Through such forbearance, quiet, endurance and surrender to God, wishing well one and all (including the wrong doer), the greatest strength and auspiciousness is attained. An aura of great power eventually surrounds the Yogi who practices such Ahimsa. He is protected by the very Lord HIMSELF.

2. The following is an incident from the life of Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi (a realized saint who lived in Tiruvannamalai, South India), denoting the power of right conduct. In the year 1924, a few thieves in search of wealth attacked Shri. Ramana's ashram. Shri. Ramana, who was a realized soul, having forsaken all possessions, did not possess anything of value in his hermitage. A few books on Yoga, some food, clothes and a few utensils were the only things present. When the thieves realized that their efforts had gone waste, they became angry and started throwing and breaking things. Shri. Ramana requested them not to do so and calm down. Further infuriated, the wrong doers repeatedly hit Bhagavan and some of his disciples, who tried to intervene, injuring them in the process.

Shri. Bhagavan, the great Yogi that he was, however did not take any of this personally. A thief gave a blow on Bhagavan's leg causing great pain. Shri Bhagavan however looked at the man compassionately and remarked - "You may hit the other leg as well, if you are not satisfied". He even offered them food, seeing they were hungry. The thieves eventually left, realizing their mission had gone waste.

A year later, the same band of thieves were arrested by the law for another crime elsewhere and hanged to death. They were punished by their own wrong doing, which followed them, awarding them with what was due, as per the laws of karma.

The laws of the Lord are just and very impartial. They strike with mighty force when the fruit of karma gets ripe for harvest. Knowing it to be such, one should not interfere with divine will. One should not try to control anybody or anything, under the grip of the Ego. The only thing required is to control oneself, using the ropes of 'Gnyana'. There is a higher power which is watching everything and which will do what is required, at the right time. It is not for us to project the useless Ego.

Do your duty calmly and cheerfully, to the extent of your ability and forgive those who may indulge in wrong doing. Let go of the Ego which is prone to the illusion of insult & praise, good & bad. The Atman (self) is beyond such illusion and always unaffected. Identify with it and let go of all other things. Then there will be no worry and no anxiety. To such a one, there is only peace and quiet, whatever be the nature of the world.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: Thanks for your answer..

Sir,
(From my day today experiences)..Generally is it really possible to live in this world speaking only the Truth? Or is it really necessary to do so?
I am very much tired of these bookish terms that say Speak Truth, be Non-Violent, and so on..Is that practical?
Being Truthful is a great thing but what will you do if someone trickily persuading you to do something that you are not interested and we are intended to say an white lie that I have this work that work etc..? There are countless situations like that where white lies are needed..

Also when we don't like to disclose the reason why we are not taking part in their activities we are supposed to say a white lie here..Is that wrong?. Will that add to our negative or positive Karma?..How do you define "Truth"?

Also is that possible to be Saatwic always irrespective of people playfully doing intolerant and Rajasic activities towards you? there is always a limit to everything ..right? How tolerate we must be towards these things..

Please share your views Sir...

Vimal.

ANSWER: 1. The closer one's consciousness gets to the Atman (self), the lesser is the identification with the 'Asat' (non-self) comprising of the Ego, body & the world. In parallel, one's urge to utter the untruth also reduces.

2. There is nothing called today's world or the past world. The world is only an illusion perceived through another illusion called the Ego. It is identification with the non-self which makes the Ego assume it will gain some benefit by uttering the untruth. This is an incorrect assumption; the product of ignorance. Nothing but sorrow follows the utterance of untruth. One who speaks falsity never attains peace and happiness. While he who holds on to the truth is always at peace, unaffected by the world and its offerings.

3. If such 'Satya (perfect truth) is practiced correctly for a long time, one develops the strength to remain silent in situations where uttering the truth might cause harm to oneself or others.

4. Holding on to the self and being in that quiet state is 'truth', whatever be the nature of external activity. He who realizes this is ever quiet and always in truth, though uttering words externally, or displaying some emotion, while dealing with the world. To realize this truth and reside in the truth, one should perform Sadhana and annul the Ego (which indulges in the untruth, itself being the untruth). Then alone does the meaning become clear.

5. As long as you identify with the Ego and the world, you will take yourself and the world seriously and thereby react to what occurs or does not occur. The moment you realize the world as a stage, with life as a drama and people as actors playing their part, you transcend the need to 'react' at the personal level and remain uninvolved internally, though indulging in external talk or emotions.

Such a Yogi plays his part in the drama, displaying the emotions of anger, happiness, sadness etc. externally, but ever remains unaffected internally, cool as a cucumber. He may laugh, scream, rejoice or appear dejected externally as the situation demands but always stays calm and composed internally by holding on to pure consciousness, which is beyond these dualities.

6. One may react to situations as required, in the manner necessary. However, the reaction should be an external display and not internal. Being Satwic does not mean that one remains like a stone, with no display of emotion or reaction. It only means that these are shown externally, as may be required, as done by an actor playing a role but are not experienced internally with seriousness.

ॐ तत् सत्

QUESTION: Many thanks for your Wisdom Sir.

So, Even if the situation demands a white lie, for example someone is asking me to join a party or a picnic and if I am unwilling to join and can not say directly-No, shall I say some white lie like I am not feeling well, I have some other work etc even if I've no other work?

Is it a wrong to do so. As you said Shall I do that with out disturbing my inner bliss?

Sir, please clear my confused state...

Answer
1. If you are a true Yogi, you will always have the most important work. Holding on to the meditative state and related Sadhana is the main work for the Yogi. He is always at this work, which is why he does not feel the need for much external interaction.

2. Hence he who indulges in honest Sadhana will not be uttering the untruth if he says he has other work, for a very important work always awaits him. In due course, one does not even have to explain to others. Silence speaks more than words.

ॐ तत् सत्

Celibacy/Abstinence

Dhananjay