Celibacy/Abstinence/Asana / Pranayama

Question
QUESTION: Dear sir,

I have started doing Asana+Banda+Pranayama+meditation for the last 2 months.  I have 2 questions related to Asana and Pranayama

1) Asana: After waking up and taking a shower, I sit in Siddhasana for 5 to 10 minutes before doing bandhas.  I just wanted to know if is it required to do some other yogic exercise also  or simply siddhasana is enough for optimum growth  ( in your other answers, I saw you recommending many different asanas for different situations) Also I sit in the same siddhasana for doing mula bandha, pranayama and meditation so total time in siddhasana is around 1 hour.

2) Pranayama: I started doing pranayama with 16 second retention and after 1.5 months I moved to 24 second retention. recently I observed that inbetween pranayama, I get cough (deep cough)after 2 to 3 cycles of prayanama. So I stop and then resume pranamaya after few minutes,( I have been observing this cough for the past 1 week (almost everyday and only once during 6 cycle set)-so just wondering any corrective action need to be taken)- I have a very awkward feeling because of this break in between

Also while doing pranayama I do not take a break in between each pranayama cycles. So is it necessary to have a break in between each cycle of pranayama or can we continue all the 6 cycles of pranayama without breaks. ( I was doing comfortable the 6 cycles  with out breaks)

thank you for your kind attention

ANSWER: I.
1. Padmasana
2. Vajrasana
3. Ardha & Purna Paschimottanasana
4. Halasana
5. Sarvangasana

Perform these after offering Prayers to the Lord to realize the self.

II.
Then perform the Bandha-s

III.
Then Nadi Shodhana

IV.
Pranayama

V.
Meditation on the Atman (self)

* Till the body is not completely purified, such coughing etc. can occur. Ignore the same and continue with the 24 second retention. With perseverance, the Prana will fully remove the underlying impurity in the course of time.

* A few seconds of break should suffice if there is no exhaustion.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: Dear Sir,

Noted your comments and Thank you for your reply,

I just want to clarify few more points

1) Regarding Asanas, I could collect some information from the internet. However, I would like to know how many repetation of each of this asanas we need follow or how long do we have to sit in each of these asanas. in website it shows 5 to 10 mnts or even more?

2) Is ardha paschimothasana same as ardha Padma paschimothasana?

3) Regarding sarvangasana, I was going through this website and found Matsaysana is recommended after sarvangasana http://sivanandaonline.org/public_html/?cmd=displaysection§ion_id=1252
please let me know your comments

3) Bandas- I am doing 1 cycle of  bandhas with 3 repetation of each bandhas, should I increase the cycle of bandhas to 2 or 3?

I just want to ensure that I do these things in the correct way,

thank you

ANSWER: 1. A single repetition should suffice, when performed correctly. Maintain the Asana end pose for 8~10 seconds.

2. Yes

3. You may perform it, if you so wish.

4. No

ॐ तत् सत्

QUESTION: Sir,

many thanks for your kind reply

Reference to asanasa,

Padmasana, though i could do this asana, my knee of left leg is not touching the ground while the other knee is touching the ground. but looks ok and i can sit for almost 1 minute.

Vajrasana -ok

I had a tough time doing paschimottanasana and halasana  (I even sprained my back in between )

So can I do uttanasana initially and then after say 3-4 months I believe my body will become more flexible and then  I will try paschimottanasana

I am also comfortable with sarvangasana, so can I skip halasana for the time being and slowly move from sarvangasana to halasana.

Note:( I am 31 years old  and weigh 55 kgs, i was doing some physical excerise before such as push ups and pull ups, bitex  and hence i feel my body has become very stiff)

Thanks

Answer
1. All Asana-s are to be performed to the extent possible, initially.

2. Perform Paschimottanasana to the extent possible. Do not apply too much force.

3. The same as regards Halasana.

With sustained efforts, the postures becomes perfect, in the course of time.

ॐ तत् सत्

Celibacy/Abstinence

Dhananjay