Celibacy/Abstinence/Break, emotions & flattery

Dear Guruji,

1) The day before yesterday, I woke up to sexual imagination. I was not enlarged nor was I lusting but the experience almost seemed like conscious fantasy. I immediately jumped off that conveyer belt and went back to sleep without further fantasy. This has not resulted in any form of wet dream yet. Does this constitute a break as I really don't want to pour the small bottle of cold mineral water I have gathered in this scorching sun?

2) I tend to feel irritated and infuriated by my loved ones. Although I control these feelings and displace them with attempts to emanate pure love, I can conclude that these slight deviations have been more than merely fleeting. Does this constitute a break?  

3) What does one do when complemented? How can one reply when statements like "You're very intelligent" or even the dreaded "Wow, I think you're a brahmachari!" are directed towards him by people who know the concepts of yoga but ignore them or even otherwise? It seems that jealousy from people noticing the newfound 'tej' (bright lustre) of the bag of flesh and bones can trigger a break.

1. Fantasy or anger are not breaks by themselves but will lead to a mental break, which eventually ends in a physical break, for lust and anger are the tools which dissemble residence in the self. Hence these should be nipped at the bud itself. Remain quiet and displace lustful thoughts calmly and thoroughly, by taking the mind off them at the start itself through 'Vichara' (inquiry) and 'Viveka' (wisdom).

Do not wrestle or reason with sexual thoughts, as 'Maya' (illusion) cannot be won over through reasoning. Maya is more powerful than the intellect and logic. It will slice and destroy intellect and reasoning within seconds, as a knife slices through butter. Displace the thought, replacing it with 'Gnyana' (the absolute truth) and diverting the mind onto some other constructive activity.

Maya can only be overcome by annulling the Ego, following which the all powerful Atman (pure self) shines. Under the light of the Atman, Maya, unable to play her games, disappears instantly. This is the method. For this, one must perform honest and regular Sadhana, with surrender and love to the Supreme, following all the 8 Anga-s of Yoga assiduously.

2. It is but natural that various kinds of emotional upsurges occur during the first few years of Brahmacharya. The beast called the Ego, which has been let free for millions of lifetimes to roam as it wanted, suddenly finds itself shackled by the tenets of Brahmacharya, which it tries to overcome by staging sudden and intense protests. Till the Ego is not fully roasted in the fire of Gnyana, such occurrences are possible.

One should ignore the Ego and its tantrums, drink a glass of water and divert the mind elsewhere. Else, it leads to a loss of equilibrium, wherein, man performs foolish actions, gaining unwanted karma, for which he will later have to repent.

3. One should never proclaim or even mention to others, the practice of Brahmacharya, which is a divine and personal equation between the aspirant and the Supreme. He who does so falls without doubt.

Remain internally quiet, humble and calm, reminding the Ego that it is a wingless bird flying in feathers borrowed from the power of the Atman. The wise Yogi does not pay attention to flattery, compliments or praise, which are all forms of Maya. He smiles at these and remains quiet internally, reminding himself that the luster & intelligence come from the Atman and not the Ego.

Snubbing the foolish Ego which has no better work than to react to everything and nothing, the Yogi remains ever humble, as though knowing nothing, like a fool, all the time vigilant, holding on to the the truth in silence.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.