Celibacy/Abstinence/Hassle of hair vs benefits

I am a 23 yr old and have full beard and long hair.I decided to grow it to avail the benefits of hair. I have not cut hair for 18 months.I am learning Indian classical music and want to evolve spiritually through music.My hair and beard is irritating me a lot.My head hair always touches the back of ears and neck and makes it warm and sweaty .i have to adjust moustache every 2 minutes coz it comes on lips. The sensations of hair and beard is a 24*7 irritation.So my questions are:

1.does removing the hassle of hair outweigh the benefits ? because if my hair is cut i will feel free and thus can think clearly. Will I be better off keeping the hair in the long run?

2.Please suggest some ways to reduce the irritation of both hair and beard .tying a pony pulls the head and is uncomfortable .

3.Can I evolve spiritually only through music or should i do some meditation,etc

4.Can you suggest any guruji I can personally visit to ask my doubts.I live in Mumbai

ANSWER: 1. Slightly trim the hair, mustache & beard, to the extent required for comfort.

2. Making the hair into a bun at the crown of the head (Brahmarandhra) & tying a Shiva type knot (as seen the the photos of Lord Siva), is most beneficial for rise of Kundalini. It is an excellent hairstyle to conserve energy at all times. It is conducive for deep meditation.  The next option is to make the hair into a bun a bit lower (as done by the womenfolk). Those who find these hairstyles not very practical for everyday life due to professions/circumstances, trim it shorter.

3. Spiritual evolution, which occurs only by HIS grace will become complete through a life of Yoga & Brahmacharya (using all the Yogic methods as described earlier) to realize the self. This will also help in the study of music. However, the practice of Yoga & Brahmacharya to realize the self will be the central pillar for evolution, for you in particular.

4. Apply the efforts required to achieve the above, with love and self-surrender to the Lord, asking nothing in return. HE will ensure that the doubts are cleared, in the way required, either by a personal Guru, or through other means.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: 1. yogi bhajan says that by trimming the hair you lose your that true? does it take 3 years for new antennas to form?
2.which option is better a]to keep it uncut and bear the irritation but enjoy the benefits  b] trimming it and being free,clear minded but less benefits  .I can only decide on whether to trim or not , if this point is clear

1. One must eventually overcome dependence on the body (of which hair is also a part) and reside in the self as the self, for you are not the body but the self alone. That is the only truth. Hence one must not become attached or develop a fascination/dependence for anything non-self such as the world, objects or the body (including hair). However, the presence of hair is conducive for energy management as regards the beginner.

2. Surrender means leaving all decisions to HIM alone. There is no path greater than 'Saranagati' (surrender to the Supreme). Hence take your mind off the matter and let HIM decide whether to trim it or keep it. Accept what happens, remaining neutral. Focus on Sadhana to overcome body consciousness, hold on to the self and be at peace.

ॐ तत् सत्

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.