Celibacy/Abstinence/Success in Career

Dear Dhananjay,

I would like your sincere help and inputs regarding an important matter.

I will be travelling to a world-renowned violin competition at the start of May and I would like to do well. I have been following the path of brahmacharya for the last 2 months or so and small progress in mental clarity and physical strength is present.

The issues I face are as follows:

a) When going to the competition, the glitter and glamour of the world will be on full display. Much talking and interaction will be present. What must I do?

b) Several years ago, I unjustly spoke unkindly about some others and will now have to face them. I am nervous about meeting them. I am also nervous because they will be watching me when I perform. It is moments like these that confuse me, disturb me from my peaceful state, and show me truly HOW LITTLE I have achieved in the path of brahmacharya.

c) I fear embarrassment and ridicule if my performance doesn't go well. I am also nervous about what others perceive of me and think of me. It is eating me from the inside out.

I could not thank you more if you please tell me how to proceed, in a detailed fashion, regarding the above concerns. My ultimate goal in life is brahmacharya and all other goals are a means of achieving this.

Kind Regards,

1. Maintain a calm, pleasant and quiet demeanor, always internally unaffected with the external happenings (be they pleasant or unpleasant), looking at the whole scene lightly, as a drama, yet playing your part correctly.

Actions speak louder than words. Your performance should make a statement and not your words.

2. The wise one does not worry about his past, which is unchangeable. He holds on to the self at the present, in a detached manner, as explained above, taking praise and censure equally, unaffected by both, knowing them to be nothing but illusions. Nothing affects the one who works in this manner.

3. Let go of the Ego which has all these unfounded fears and be your pure self, peaceful, ever free & completely unattached with anything. That which has to happen will happen. Why should one worry about these things? Does one worry about what happens in a dream? The waking state is another dream on the Atman and nothing else. One's duty ends at sincere effort. Do that much, relax and be quiet.

The only way to be, is to let go of all unnecessary thoughts and hold on to the self. Then, the best of one's ability emerges automatically and one is most efficient.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.