Celibacy/Abstinence/Selfless service and mind control

Namaskar Guruji,

1) What can one do when faced with competition for giving 'selfless' service (a term quite internally contradictory in this context)? I have been giving this service for about three months, but today somebody started sharing the work with me and this irritated me. I tried VERY HARD but in vain to remain unaffected, thinking good thoughts like, 'He is trying to help me', 'God acts through multiple entry points into maya', 'Everybody is atman manifested', 'Ignore the rambling ego'  etc. but this still took away my 'wa' as the other guy has other such opportunities for work but I don't get involved, sticking devotedly to my task. I do it as service to God and for brahmacharya assistance/commitment. This particular example is just one among the many such situations the aspiring karma yogi faces.

2) Can you please suggest some other selfless service ideas I can do if my competitor takes my place?

3) Why do I become affected by other people's vibrations of hatred and jealousy no matter how hard I try? What is the way out?

4) How is 'prathyaahaara' practiced and perfected?

1. With whom are you competing? For what are you competing? Does the word 'competition' have any meaning to the one with wisdom? The true Yogi does his duty without expectation & without desire. That alone is service to God and not doing work with some vested interest or a feeling of expectation in the mind. Irritation or any other emotion of inadequacy, when someone joins or shares work is a reaction of the foolish Ego under the grip of Moha (attachment) & Lobha (greed).

Just as the Lord works through oneself, HE also works through billions of other bodies and minds. That which is to be done through you will be done through you and those actions which are to be done through other Jiva-s (individuals) will be done through them.

Where now is competition? Who competes with whom, when it is the Lord alone who is working through all the different people? "Isavaasyamidam Sarvam" - "All this is pervaded by the Lord alone".

It is not the business of the Ego to oppose, interfere or question. Show the Ego its place and work without attachment, to both the work and its results, whatever they be.

2. Let go of the Ego and remain quiet, both internally & externally. That is the best selfless service. Then, those actions which are destined to transpire through the body & mind go on automatically, without trouble from the fool called the Ego.

3. Through Sadhana & patience.

4. By withdrawing the mind from roaming after objects of the senses, Pratyahara gradually fortifies. Keep the mind focused on the Atman (self) by remaining free of thoughts in internal meditation (whatever be the nature of external activity). That itself is Pratyahara.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.