Celibacy/Abstinence/Ongoing Celibacy

Lockon wrote at 2014-05-28 09:40:59

So after reading your story, it seems like your biggest issue is to not have children at this moment of time. I am not sure about how old you are, but if you are young, then yes, this might make sense for this stage of your life. And I totally respect your decision not to have children. It is your body and you can decide to do whatever you want with it.

I personally advice you to be natural. Listen to your body and don't focus too much on your morals. If you go against nature, you will be going against yourself. If you love your S/O and have the bodily desire to make love with him, it would be very unnatural not to do so. Don't have sex to please another person, do it because of love.

There are many ways to avoid getting pregnant and yes, there is no birthcontrol that is 100% effective. But nothing in life is 100% effective when you think about it that way. There is a small chance that when you drive, you get into a car accident, there is a small chance that when you fly, the plane crashes, there is a small chance that you will get shot on the street. Does this all mean you have to stay home the rest of your life? And if you did, can you call that "life".

Have you thought about "condoms", "inserting a copper spiral" or "female sterilization". Please ask your gynecologist for more information about this.

Doug Adams, Ph.D.

When it comes to celibacy/abstinence, I am more likely to point out the downside of being sexually abstinent. I don't advocate abstinence as a long-term sexual lifestyle. Abstinence is a good thing when the alternative is being sexual in an indiscreet manner, but it is a bad thing when a healthy sexual lifestyle of being monogamous with a partner is available. I frequently answer questions in the masturbation and male masturbation categories on AllExperts.com. I take all questions pertaining to sexuality.

I am a category expert in the sexuality area on AllExperts.com and have written the web site HealthyStrokes.com for over thirteen years.

I have a Ph.D. in a field unrelated to sexuality from one of the leading educational institutions of the world.