Celibacy/Abstinence/Reaction to external occurrences

One doubt aggravates my mind.

Please take the following scenario. It haunts me and disturbs me and I would like to know of your answer.

An aspirant of the brahmic path lives quietly, does his dharma, and accordingly supports his parents, who do no harm. Another individual, full of malice and contempt, willingly murders the parents of the aspirant.

In this case, how would a yogi react? Although he would realize this world is fully false, would an urge of familial affection urge him to immediately kill the murderer on the spot? Or should he simply notify authorities of the occurrence and trust that dharma will accordingly sort things out?

The reason I ask is because I am a novice on the path of brahmacharya and slowly, I have been tempering my reactions to external stimuli and not letting the outside world bother me. However, I fear something terrible like this should not happen since it would completely destroy any little progress I would make. Kindly advise how to proceed.

Would the great Swami Vivekananda, if he were in this situation, not have taken matters into his own hands and finished off ANY individual who murdered another person right in front of him? I feel that he would have.

ANSWER: All occurrences are the result of past karma. Nothing occurs against destiny. One gets what one deserves, based on his past actions, which ripen and bear fruit, at the destined time, yielding what the world terms positive or negative experiences. Knowing it to be such, the Yogi stays true to his Dharma and never takes the law into his own hands.

He who kills another, accrues the karma of murder, which will follow him like his own shadow & deal with him, as per divine law, at the right time. He will undoubtedly have to pay for this act.

One who faces this situation may proceed as per the law of the land, through proper legal action. Even if he is unable to do this for some reason, divine law takes its own course and will execute justice, flawlessly, at the right time. This is certain.

The Yogi does not retaliate with violence. Retaliation with a similar act only leads to further unwanted karma, which he himself will have to bear. It does not serve any purpose. It is not the way of the wise.  Revenge is the path of the ignorant mind. There is nothing called revenge for the Gnyani.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: If the karma were accrued to a doer, then would this also apply if it were the duty of someone to kill? e.g. in the old medieval days kings had executioners whose job was to put others to death.

if this entire world is fake, why does it matter which physical, unreal entity kills another?

Also, suppose one is fully aware that the penalty for murder under law of the land is death. In that case, why does it matter who distributes justice, either the yogi or the courts? After all, both are merely human institutions.

Lastly, does every bad experience a person endures on this realm the result of a prior bad action in a previous life? Or can it be the case that a soul/person goes through undeserved harm in this life but will be accordingly rewarded in the next life for unnecessarily receiving something unfair (e.g. a cruel death, undeserved punishment, etc.)?

1. There is no karma as regards actions carried out impersonally (without involvement of the personal Ego), under the rules of one's Dharma. A soldier in the army, who kills the enemy to protect his country, under the commands of his officer does so under the tenets of his Dharma. Therefore, he does not accrue any negative karma. Rather, he accrues negative karma if he fails to slay the enemy, for then, he has not followed the dictates of his Dharma.

2. Does the entity indulging in murder believe itself and the other to be unreal? Had it been so, there would not have arisen the need for murder in the mind of the entity, for there would have been no anger and no sense of revenge. One does not try to take revenge on the characters he encountered in a dream, upon waking up.

An entity indulging in murder does so out of anger or another emotion, or for some assumed benefit, completely ignorant of the absolute truth. It believes itself, the other person and the situation to be very real. Only under such conditions, when one has taken himself and the other seriously does one get the mind for such severe action. A Gnyani (one who resides in the truth) does not take any situation personally, knowing it to be unreal, and therefore forgives. Divine law protects the Gnyani. He does not interfere.

3. Justice is always delivered by divine law only, whatever be the external means. It is not one's business to assume doership as regards anything.

4. What is termed good and bad are the result of past actions of the Ego. Nothing occurs by chance. The Ego, under the grip of ignorance, assumes doership and performs different kinds of actions, for which it will experience different kinds of results. The Yogi gives up doership, becomes the tool of the Lord and gets free from the wheel of karma, after working out the remnant karma, necessary for settlement of his past actions. Then follows liberation.

ॐ तत् सत्

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.