Celibacy/Abstinence/Why have YOU changed?

The practice of brahmacharya is aided by a guru. However, what is one to make of a guru whose personality changes with time from pleasant to sour and brusque?

I have seen your old answers on this very forum, expressed cheerily and with motivation. They were long and detailed.

Now, your answers seem to be made out of irritation. Your mantra seems to be "do your sadhana and be quiet". That much practitioners know themselves; they ask you questions because they wish to learn from someone who is further along this sacred path.

I, for instance, asked you how karma works in the case of a billionaire with 300 rolls royce. You claimed the question was out of purview yet it is very clearly ESSENTIAL to understand. The cycle of samsara is a constant in the lives of all but the realized and understanding the process of samsara is necessary to understand how to break out of it. Why is it wrong to ask something like this?

As long as doubts persist and questions are not answered, true liberation cannot come. In the same way that sense pleasures must be experienced to fully overcome them (with the very rare exception of highly advanced jivas), understanding answers to doubts is essential.

Of course, I do not expect you to give me a different answer herewith. But I thought you should know 1) how difficult it is to practice this path as a young man in a highly lust-filled world 2) why aspirants come to you with their questions and 3) I am immensely grateful for your advice and could not have advanced 10 % if I had not read your answers. I prayed to have a spiritual guide who was genuine about this practice and the almighty gave me your forum-for that I am always thankful to him.

1. Right instruction ends at where to look, not what to see. That is to be realized through direct experience, with unbroken Sadhana, carried out honestly, uninterruptedly and patiently, over years, decades or lifetimes, as the case may be.

2. Knowledge of the truth is not attained through any amount of instruction, discussion, elaboration, reading the scriptures or other theoretical means.

"The truth is realized in SILENCE, when the mind is merged into the Atman (self)" .

3. Instruction ends at description of the means required merge the mind into the self. The rest, one has to do by himself, through unswerving effort, with surrender to God. Then alone does one get knowledge of the truth and eventually becomes the very truth himself.

4. The result of merit and demerit, which is the cause behind worldly accomplishments or non-accomplishments have been addressed in past answers, to the extent required. Merit and demerit, concerning the Ego, have no connection with realization of the truth. Hence, the topic does not come within the purview of 'Atma Sadhana', and hence does not necessitate elaboration.

5. What is 'being quiet'? To merge the mind into the self, so that nothing but the self remains, yet indulging in one's Dharma at the worldly level is 'being quiet'. Mere external silence, with the mind full of turbid wants and desires is not quiescence. He who masters the art of 'being quiet' becomes the truth himself.

6. To whom are the 'doubts'? As long as the one who has doubts exists, there will be no end to doubts. Doubts cannot be cleared through debates, lectures or discussions, which all come within the purview of the mind. Doubts disappear forever, only when the one 'doubting' (Ego) is eradicated forever. Then, one transcends the mind & pure consciousnesses alone remains, which is of the nature of knowledge-being-bliss. It is the fountain of all knowledge, which is right within. All doubts are then gone forever & no doubt remains. This is the method.

An aspirant once went to an Enlightened master, asking for realization. The master asked him to wait under a tree, telling he would be back. It became evening, and there was still no sign of the Guru. The aspirant continued to wait. It soon became night and the weather became cold, with the place swarming with mosquitoes. Without even a bed to sleep on or cover himself, the aspirant slept on a slab of stone under the tree, bitten by mosquitoes. By the next morning, there was still no sign of the Guru. The aspirant continued to wait, sitting in meditation. Days passed, but there was no sign of the Guru.

Days soon became weeks and weeks became months. The Guru had still not appeared. Passer's by gave the meditating disciple with some food, water and minimal clothing and he continued to wait, spending his time in meditation in the harsh conditions. Soon, it was a year and there was still no sign of the Guru. The disciple continued his Sadhana, meditating day after day in wait of his Guru. Soon, years started to roll by. There was still no sign of the Guru.

The aspirant was still patient and had full trust in the words of the Guru, who had told him to wait, saying he would be back. So he continued to do his Sadhana, his body ravaged by the harsh elements. Knowing nothing about his future, not knowing if the Guru would ever come, not knowing what would happen to him, he continued to wait in silence. Sometimes, people left some food before him and sometimes, there was no food. The aspirant, turning a blind eye to all external conditions waited patiently, trusting the words of his Guru. Such was his longing & commitment for self-realization.

Twelve years passed in this way, and one day, the Guru appeared. He blessed the aspirant with a single touch, asking him to utter the Mahavakyam "Soham" (I am THAT). Upon uttering the same, the aspirant experienced full realization and became a 'Jivanmukta'.

The 12 years of hardship had burnt all the negative karma which was in store. The life of austerity, frugality & simplicity became 'Tapas' & had dissolved all 'Moha' (attachment) which the disciple had as regards the world and its comforts. Contemplation & meditation on the Supreme had burnt all past Samskara-s in totem in the course of time, resulting in dissolution of the Ego. This was the Sadhana prescribed by the Guru, without any further elaboration.

The disciple had full faith in the words of the Guru, for he had been told that the Guru is God himself in blood and flesh. When the Guru said "Wait, I will be back", the disciple waited. Period. Such was his trust in the words of the master. It was unconditional. Not once did the disciple question why, when or how. The Guru had given an instruction to wait and that was the end of the matter.

Do you see the kind of longing, love, devotion & unfailing commitment the disciple had for 'Kaivalya' (self-realization)? The determination, zest and unconditional surrender to attain the objective? The complete surrender and trust in the words of the Guru? It is such intensity which is required. Such intensity alone has the power to break through the shackles of ignorance. Crossing this 'Samsara Sagara' (ocean of trans-migratory existence) is not an easy task. Only those very devoted to the ideal succeed. Only those whose devotion supersedes the pull of desire for the world emerge victorious on the other side. The rest fail and have to try again.

There was no one in person to clarify his doubts. None to give him elaborate lectures. All that was realized was realized in the course of Sadhana alone, from within, for real knowledge comes from within and not from outside.

One is always the Satchidananda Atman, the embodiment of knowledge, bliss and pure being. All that is required is to overcome identity with the 'Anatma' (non-self-Ego), following which pure knowledge springs forth like a fountain, from the infinite self. It is endless and pure, like the infinite sky.

The purpose of this portal ends at instruction on the methods required to merge the mind into the Atman (self). The rest, one has to realize through direct experience, through arduous Sadhana, by merging into THAT. Different aspirants are at different stages of evolution. Therefore, the answers to the same questions vary. That which is deemed necessary, to the requirements of the particular individual is advised. The means, methods and style of advise do not need justification.

He who follows the complete set of instructions given in past answers meticulously & regularly, with full surrender and trust in God, will eventually attain the objective. This is certain. Patience and trust in Sadhana should be unconditional, with no expectations. It may take years or lifetimes. One should still be undaunted. The Lord does not grant knowledge of the Atman to those who approach HIM with terms, conditions & dictates. It is only when one becomes completely humble, letting go of the Ego with full surrender, that the truth is perceived. He who does so alone realizes the truth and attains to silence.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.