Celibacy/Abstinence/Messy living space

Question
Dear Sir,

I was reading today that a neat and tidy living environment is a support to stronger meditation. I have also heard frequently that a person's environment is a reflection of their mind. In my entire life, and I am over sixty years of age, I have lived in a messy, disorganized environment. Except for very brief periods, despite committing to do otherwise, my room quickly descends again and again into chaos. The only time I kept my room neat was many, many years ago when I became very angry with my parents and decided to cut off contact with them for the remainder of my life (I did not stick to this decision). During that time, when I felt independent of my family and on my own, I kept my room for that month or so, neat. Could you shed some light on this condition?

Thank-you,

Ron

Answer
1. A Yogi should strive to maintain cleanliness & tidiness, both internal (of the mind) and external (of the body & its surroundings), for this helps keep the energy field around him orderly, organized and conducive to health, peace and well being.

How does mess get created? It can happen when one lacks the discipline to keep things in order. It can also happen when one possesses more than what he/she needs, and these very objects eventually become a bane.

2. The wise Yogi maintains a few, necessary possessions, required to sustain his body & mind and directs his energy in the quest of the self. Objects in one's possession, which are outside the purview of requirement become a bane. Much energy has to be focused, merely on their upkeep. Besides, there is always a chance that one gets attached to them and suffers when they are damaged, lost or stolen.

Filter the possessions to the bare minimum, donate the rest to those who may need it, making it a point to replace things in their respective places after use and be at peace. Tidiness and neatness will become a part of your life henceforth.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Celibacy/Abstinence

Dhananjay