Celibacy/Abstinence/Modern medicine and the body

hello Dhananjay,

Thanks for your terrific work on this site.I am coming up to month three of brahmacharya, and im starting to slowly break through the fog of material bewilderment.My questions are as follows:

1.Through the practice of brahmacharya, it seems to me that gradually energy finds its natural equilibrium in the body and we feel a sense of 'wholeness' once again.Obviously this can take some time.With this sense of wholeness, it would be reasonable to say that the body would find its natural healthy state, and ailments that had troubled a particular jiva would resolve.

Ive always been wary of the medical establishment, due to the 'treating the symptoms not the cause' approach, but with this in mind what would be the best attitude to health related concerns for one who has not yet achieved the perfect state.Should one merely attend to whatever arises with detachment.For example the dentist is telling me i need a couple of root canal treatments and i'm quite hesitant to go through with them, feeling that if i just establish myself in the natural state, there will be no need for the dental work.I think Christian Science has this approach to healing.Your thoughts would be appreciated.

2.When i am spending time with my family, there is often alot of talk about the past.How 'cute' i was, how great i was in this and that school play.How i broke my arm when i was 10 etc etc.In other words i feel reduced to a child again, and i sit there and try to respond kindly, but this talk makes me very uncomfortable.Perhaps i am still 'thinking i am the person' and that's the image that i'm projecting.Any thoughts?

I hope i haven't gone off the topic too much.

Thanks for your response.

1. Brahmacharya will gradually prevent the incidence of new, further health issues. An established Brahmachari who maintains proper dental hygiene will not be prone to tooth decay (as the entire system including teeth become very strong further to a life of transmutation and therefore less prone to decay)

Problems which are already in bloom, due to the earlier mode of life (such as an infected tooth which requires root canal work - being a terminal stage for the tooth) should be attended to with the required dental treatment, without delay.

2. The Ego colored mind goes through various oscillations on the past, present and imagined future. None of these are of any substance.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.