Celibacy/Abstinence/Spirituality in family life

Namaskaram Dhananjay garu,

I hope you are doing great,

I have learnt yoga asanas from a Spiritual guru. I would like to detail them in short.

Patang Asana for 2 minutes, Shishupal Asana for 2 minites, Nadi Vibhajan 3 times, Sukha Kriya for 7 to 8 minutes (Pranayama), OM Chanting for 21 times, Breath flattering for 2-3 minutes, Mula Bandha as long as one can hold his breath (Holding Anal and Stomach muscles) & Breath Watching for about 6 to 7 minutes. Kindly advise whether the above practices are ok to merge oneself with God apart from Brahmacharya in Thought, Word and Deed?

How many times one should meditate. It is said one should only meditate on Empty Stomach. As you know we eat 3 times a day and it takes 4 to 6 hours for digestion process to complete, please advise as to how many times and at what time one should practice meditation. I am a family guy 32 years old blessed with a 7 years old kid. I would like my kid to practice Yoga and Meditation, please suggest some basic steps for her. My wife also want to follow my path and together we want to strictly get into the path shown by THE SUPREME.

The most impediment to my daily practice of Yoga and Meditation is my Shift timings.

I work in night shifts and i am feeling very sleepy when i come back home. How to get rid of this situation. At this stage, i am economically backward and i have to earn for our livelihood and to fulfill some basic needs in this competitive world (Ex: My Child's education and savings for her future). It would surely take another couple of years for me to settle financially but still i want to come of it. I am unable to get rid of this Vicious cycle called Night Shifts. I want to strengthen my practice of Brahmacharya. Your help on the above issues will be much appreciated. God Bless You..

Ravi Krishna

1. Include Nadi Shodhana and the Pranayama described in past answers.

2. One should practice Yoga and meditation at any one of the 4-Sandhi Kala-s (described in past answers). The ideal time for practice is before Sunrise and at Sunset. The Yogi who masters the art of merging the mind into the Atman (self), whereupon no thought remains, is in meditation all through the day, whatever be the nature of external activity.

3. When the husband and wife lead a life of Yoga & Brahmacharya as described earlier with all the requisite practices, a spiritual aura engulfs the entire home. Children who grow up in such an atmosphere of divinity, where the husband and wife do not look at each other sexually, but only with a divine perspective naturally get attuned to a life of spirituality.

For now, make the child perform a few simple Asana-s, early in the morning, followed by chanting OM with closed eyes in Padmasana, on a daily basis. This will take care of everything.

Take up unbroken Brahmacharya with the wife, with surrender to God, to realize the self alone (asking nothing in return). All problems including those of finances will go away in the course of time, to be replaced by health, peace, prosperity and well being, along with marked progress in the spiritual plane.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.