Celibacy/Abstinence/Cold and stuffy nose

Question
Hi Sir,

I have a cold or some kind of illness that prevents me from practicing proper pranayam or nadi shodana. I also feel weak and cannot hold asanas, and my body feels stiff. I am wondering whether it is possible to give up Nadi Shodana, Pranayam and Bhastrika for the next few days until I feel better.

Answer
1. An on and off blocked nose is common during the initial few years of Sadhana, when the 'Vishuddha Chakra' purification is not yet complete. It is the result of ingrained karmic and bodily toxins, which take many years to vacate. The very blocking is a sign that these toxins are surfacing whilst being vacated, while being pushed out by the Yogic Sadhana.

2. Lethargy and an apparent physical weakness is another common effect. During the initial years, Prana is not yet harmonized into equilibrium. At one time, one feels full of energy and at the other, he feels as though he cannot do even simple tasks. This is the effect of 'Tamas' (inertia) which also makes one sleep when he sits in meditation.

3. The Yogi should turn a blind eye to these symptoms and persist with all the required methods (without omission), despite these obstacles, to the utmost extent possible. Then, all these issues gradually taper and go away in the course of time.

4. When after much unbroken Sadhana, the Yogi attains to the 'Divya Sharira' (divine body completely purified by the fire of Yoga), which occurs just before entrance into 'Nirvikalpa Samadhi', the body glows with luster and perfection, free from all imbalances, with Prana in a perfect state of equilibrium. Till then, one has to relentlessly persevere & surge with determination.

Do the suggested Sadhana in completeness, however difficult it be. All issues will go away in the course of time.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

Celibacy/Abstinence

Dhananjay