Celibacy/Abstinence/Why alcohol is detrimental

I stopped drinking. I always drank but then as I practiced brahmacharya for some time ive remarked myself when I drank i felt like the stronger the alcohol is, the more it attracts the vital energy of the head, legs, to the intestine region where the liquid is and that brings the sensation of being drunk. It slows down purification and impede good energy flow. Even if this is not lust and the symptoms are different, drinking alcohol is similar as engaging in gluttony. In that case one cannot concentrate or meditate well, at least for a common person.

In addition to the debilitating and toxic effects of alcohol at the physical & mental levels, it increases 'Tamas' (darkness & inertia), hindering 'Gnyana' (knowledge of the truth), 'Vichara' (inquiry) & 'Viveka' (wisdom). Under lack of these three, the body & Ego identified consciousness gets wholly sense oriented, indulges in actions not to be indulged in, adding to the seeds of negative karma. 'Buddhi' (fine, discerning intellect) gets replaced with 'Kama' (desire) and 'Krodha' (anger). Then starts falling apart progress towards the self, ending in sorrow & suffering. Hence the wise stay clear of such indulgence.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.