Celibacy/Abstinence/Overwhelming feelings of Divine Love

Question
Beloved Dhananjay,
Recently I have been feeling physically overwhelming Love in my heart for God and all of creation. These feelings are extremely intense and are accompanied with other physical symptoms such as an immense pressure in my chest, tingling up and down my spine, goosebumps, the urge to yell in joy etc. Of course, the feelings are a great blessing but the sheer intensity of these sensations are proving to be discomfortable and quite frankly, scary. I don't know what to do with my body and I lose all sense of control and sanity when im feeling these sensations, They are temporary.

My questions are:
1) Are these feelings aligned with the Self or the imbalanced Ego? In other words, are they conducive to spiritual development or just another effect of attachment?
2) If they are aligned with Self, how does one develop a sense of peace and control while experiencing such intense emotion? With what perspective should one view these feelings?
3)Are such intense feelings/experiences a regular occurrence in higher states of consciousness and/or samadhi?

You have been a tremendous help along my spiritual journey. I wish there was some way I could repay you. I have the utmost love and reverence for you. I hope you don't feel it is inappropriate for me to say so, but my gratitude is so genuine, that I felt it worthy to be expressed.

- Sahil

Answer
1. It is normal for one to experience such intense feelings of a pleasant nature, in the path of Yoga Sadhana. These vary from person to person, governed by various factors. That which comes and goes is related to the Ego, for the self is constant, infinite and endless. However, the joy comes from the Atman alone, which the Ego temporarily experiences.

2. All one needs to do is to let go of the Ego and ascribe all to the Lord alone. Then, one is not under any duress, whatever be the intensity of the emotion.

3. As one progresses, he comes closer to the Atman-self (Samadhi) and more intense is the bliss. Eventually, the realized being becomes bliss itself, for that is the very nature of the self. There, there is no I-ness. It is beyond description. It is known by experience alone.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Celibacy/Abstinence

Dhananjay