Celibacy/Abstinence/Divine Will in Terms of Mental States

QUESTION: Dear Dhananjay,
You once mentioned that throughout the course of evolution, the aspirant experiences various states of mind and non-mind. By the grace of the almighty, I have been fortunate enough to experience states of non-mind for prolonged periods of time (months at a time). In this state I constantly remain in contact with the ATMA's detachment and peace (or so I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong). However, every now and then, something will trigger, within me, that propels me out of this consciousness and back into clutches of misery and ego. These triggers are seemingly unprovoked, I have taken no wrong action. Most of the times I am able to, through effort, inquiry, and atmic wisdom overcome these phases in no time (hours, days)... Sometimes however, no matter how much sincere effort and inquiry I put in, I am not able to remember the divine essence of my atmic wisdom (something I was in contact with for prolonged periods of time) and remain entrapped within the ego consciousness and subjected to extreme misery. You righteously maintain that the lord himself is in control of the external. My question is, is it the lord himself who is in control of my internal (mental) as well, and engenders these phases of ego and prohibits me from slipping out of ego consciousness into soul consciousness due to past karma or is it some sort of mistake I am making that triggers ego thoughts and keeps me trapped in ego-consciousness. Basically my question i, who is in charge of the happenings, failures and successes within the mental realm and to what extent? What is governing the happenings within the mind? Is it again the lord himself? I really hope this makes sense ... I myself do not fully understand.

- Sahil

ANSWER: 1. The nature of the seeds of past karma determine these events. One is the ever pure Atman alone. However, identification with the non-self (due to the seeds of past Samskara-s) make one assume a separate, limited and finite being. Hence one has to persevere till all these seeds are roasted and can no longer germinate.

2. One tends to those actions as dictated by his past karma (which may get further strengthened by present karma), as dictated by the Ego. It is not the Lord who is responsible for one's actions, though all energy comes from HIM alone. As long as the 'I' (Ego) remains, one is responsible for the deeds committed by the I-ness. After the self is realized, there is no 'I' and therefore none to commit actions. The actions of such a man are then the actions of the Lord.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: Is there a method to actively burn away past samsakaras within the linga sharira through detached effort? Should one even attempt to do such things? Does actively holding on to the self burn away samskaras in itself? If you would, please shed light on the changes that take place within the various bodies in terms of purification from Ego when one remains fixed within the self. I feel that you may have already done so in the past. If so, please let me know during which time frame and I will go through past answers.

ANSWER: 1. Past karma's are stored in the 'Karana Sharira' (causal body) and not the 'Linga Sharira'. The Yoga Sadhana with Brahmacharya suggested in past answers is the method to dissolve the same.

2. There is no better method to burn away these seeds than residence in the self (Samadhi). All Sadhana is only to reach such residence and nothing else.

ॐ तत् सत्

QUESTION: Thank you. The reason I am asking is because these Karma's surface spontaneously, abruptly and without warning. When I am at home, resting, they are manageable. However, when I'm in the work place... Sometimes these episodes can become so intense that I am rendered unable to perform work. The only thing I can do, is withdraw from all activities and go into a meditative state and deal with the resultant thoughts and emotions with complete mindfulness and concentration which can take up to 45 min - 1 hour. I don't mind doing this, but I feel guilty and dishonest. My company is not paying me to sit in my office and perform meditation exercises. Furthermore, I feel as if I am not responsibly tending to my work duties as part of my Dharma assigned by God. No one is aware that I sometimes do this and my work output is just fine. Is there anything I can do to more actively manage the timing of these "surfacings" at least or should I just wait patiently, holding on the self, and surrender all these concerns to the will of the Almighty? Meaning - withdraw from work during work hours, meditate and deal with my ego, when absolutely necessary.

It is not necessary to retreat into a meditative posture, away from work. What is required is to hold on to the reality. Such a one is always in the self, whatever be his external work.

Just as a majestic falcon flies at ease without effort and yet is aware of the slightest movement of prey down below, he who has mastered the art of staying as the Atman (self) sports in that ocean of joy, immaterial of the nature of his external work. The world does not affect him.

ॐ तत् सत्

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.