Celibacy/Abstinence/Discomfort during Meditation

Sometimes when I make an effort to fall into soul consciousness by focusing on the nature of the breath, I feel quite a discomfort. The peace and detachment of the Atma (or so I believe) come over me in quite an intense fashion. I feel intense surges of heat, pressure in the upper abdomen and diaphragmatic area, pressure in the neck/shoulder area and a feeling of lack of breath as blood surges to my head. It throws my breathing rhythm off track and breaks my focus. The peace becomes to feel like an anxious rush for a few seconds. This happens quite occasionally - every now and then. Is this a common/normal experience or is something irregular/odd about this? Is this the sign of any shortcomings of my body which may need tending to? I ask purely to enhance my efforts at self-realization and nothing else. Please answer as you see fit.

It can happen due to the movements of Prana and is nothing to be worried about. One should focus on making the mind free of all thoughts, so as to collapse it into its source (Atman)

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.