Celibacy/Abstinence/Questions on behaviour

Hi Sir,

I hope you are well. I have three questions that require your advice.

1.) When walking in the street, Swami Sivananda recommends keeping the eyes down. However, this prevents one from enjoying vocations (such as sightseeing), and makes social interactions awkward. I also look like a person who's feigning humility. Should I rather keep my eyes up and behave like a normal person?

2.) However, there is the issue of the lustful look. My question is: When will this go away and fully disappear? If my eyes are up, I have to actively restrain them.

3.) Also, the images of some damsels who appear exceedingly beautiful still haunt my head. I assume the best way to get rid of these images is to remember the divine, and remind myself I am "pure consciousness"?  

4.) Finally, there is the issue of men staring at me and trying to intimidate me because there are jealous or hate me. What is the best way to react in this case? You have said one must get rid of the ego in this situation. What would you recommend as the optimal reaction? Should one stare back at them? Should one ignore them?

5.) When I am in the company of a woman on the subway, typically I stare at the ground, at the woman's feet, and say "Om, Sri Durga Devyai Namaha" in my head. I assume this is the best way to react?

1. It is one's inner eye (mind) which is to be fixed on the self.

2. When one resides in the self as the self, the one lusting dissolves forever.

3. One should remind himself of the falsity and decay of the same body in old age, which is changing everyday.

4. Ignore and do your Dharma

5. Holding on to the truth and reminding oneself of the falsity is the way.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.