Celibacy/Abstinence/Discrimination vs. Staying in the Self

Two queries for your expertise.

At the present, I can remain in two different states: one where I offer the body and mind to God, and identify myself with pure consciousness, and the other state where I actively discriminate and remind myself of the disgusting nature of the body and that Veerya is too valuable to waste on a bag of refuge such as woman. However, the following problem occurs: whenever I discriminate, the ego rises in another form, meanwhile, if I offer the body and mind to god, the waves of passion invade my mind but slowly subside but I feel as if I am not developing Varaigya (dispassion towards woman). It seems to be the difference of god mitigating these waves of lust vs. "I," who uses discrimination to tone these waves. When the lustful wave comes, and attraction arises in the mind, should one remind himself that the body is a bag of flesh that should not be indulged in, or should one stay or reside in the self? If one should reside in the self, is there any time or place during the day when the yogi should remind himself of the falsity of physical beauty?

Also, sir, upon facial examination, I have very deep lashes below my eyes. I do not care if these lashes hurt my appearance, but they are very deep and also cause a noticeable difference in my appearance and make me look tired. I sleep everyday from ~9:00 am to 4:30 pm and commence yogic practices upon waking up. Would you suggest any kind of solution for this problem that is amenable for yogis to reduce such deep scars and help create a more normal looking face?

ANSWER: 1. Use the method which works. Surrendering all to God is the best option, for it quells the Ego.

2. Do not worry about the body. It will correct itself after a few years of unbroken practice.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: If I surrender all to God and constantly stay in the self, must I strive to develop Varaigya independently or will Varaigya naturally develop due to god's grace ?

Surrender means relying on HIM and doing your Dharma silently, no matter what. One should accept whatever HE gives, pleasant or unpleasant, knowing HE is doing it to quell the Ego and its karma. Vairagya dawns on its own, further to life experience, as one realizes that attachment to the world and senses brings suffering alone.

ॐ तत् सत्

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.