Celibacy/Abstinence/Inquiry on Current State

Question
QUESTION: Revered Sir-

I have followed your portal for a long time and have found it to be of immeasurable help in my sadhana.

I write to you with a heavy heart. I have a few queries that I hope you can resolve:

1) In accordance with Yogic practice recommendations, I ensure that I engage the body in adequate physical, intellectual, and spiritual work to ensure that Veerya is not lost.

Yesterday, while reclining to fall sleep, an incredibly strong wave of lust overcame me. The fantasy was homosexual in nature and for whatever reason it did not let go of me.

I pulled up Swami Sivananda's picture and managed to hold off the onslaught, but upon waking up, I saw that I had a massive wet dream. I did not have any dream fantasies though.

What "portion" of spiritual practice and the benefits accruing from such are lost from such a wet dream?

In this difficult, thorny path, I need to keep focused and maintain cheer-I am a college student in a highly sensually charged environment and any advice from you would be dearly helpful.

2) Sometimes, the mind does not cooperate for Sadhana. Interestingly, during those frenzied, forced sessions, the mind jumps to sensual thoughts-as if it is somehow rebelling against being curtailed. How should this be rectified?

3) I always feel drowsy after lunch. After 2-3 weeks of brahmacharya, such tiredness goes away. Eventually, will I be able to get to a point where I am fresh after 6 hours of sleep and can function well throughout the day without becoming drowsy?

4) I know every jiva has different karma and the grace of the lord alone leads to progress. However, roughly speaking, what are the milestones a sincere aspirant would see after 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, etc.? It would help greatly in motivating me to stick to the path and to know if I am on the right path.

Respectfully yours,
SP

ANSWER: 1. Involuntary wet dreams do not reset practice. However, they cause a temporary loss of Prana, which is restored in a few days, as long as the Sadhaka maintains Brahmacharya in thought, word & deed. All aspirants go through varied forms of temptation. This is the challenge, the hurdles one must cross, through Sadhana and self surrender. Eventually, light is seen at the end of the tunnel as regards the exceptional and honest Sadhaka.

2. Take a brisk walk and divert the energy towards physical activity such as a sport etc. Energy that is disturbed gets harmonized and can then be applied to Sadhana.

3. One is fresh and cheerful when there is adequate sleep. The no. of hours can vary. As a general pointer, 6-7 hours of sleep suffice one who does not squander his Veerya.

4. The milestones vary from person to person, based on their individual karma and the progress they have already accomplished in previous existences. Elaborations on these are dealt with to some extent in past answers.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: Two quick follow-ups:

1) When sleeping, unfortunately, sometimes I roll over and sleep on my stomach. When I do so (and when the bladder is full) a wet dream inevitably occurs. To clarify, I was caught in the oddest of scenarios: I was dreaming of being in a conference room listening to a lecture, and although I knew I was approaching a wet dream, my buddhi was not able to exercise any self-control! In other words, I was in a half-conscious and half-unconscious state! How is this possible?

2) How debilitating is the situation described above? If we were to say 100% of sadhana has been broken and "reset" by a fully conscious sexual act, and 10% is "broken" by an occasional non-sexual monthly nocturnal emission, where would this fall?

I am greatly aggrieved.

3) After nocturnal emission, I find that the feelings of lust and unchasteness are much higher for the next few days. Why is this?

Answer
1. Avoid drinking water from three hours before retiring to bed. The subconscious mind at play is irrational. One should discount all such experiences.

2. Let go of percentages and do you Dharma. That which has to come will come.

3. Past Vasana-s can get ignited to some extent by such revisits to the sexual plane. This makes one more susceptible

ॐ तत् सत्

Celibacy/Abstinence

Dhananjay