Celibacy/Abstinence/Bandha Duration

QUESTION: Hello Sir,

In one of the posts, you had advised that one shouldn't do mula bandha by holding breath for more than 5 seconds, I can quite easily do it for 20 seconds.
Should I reduce the duration of kumbhaka?

Thank You

Om Tat Sat

ANSWER: Yes. A duration of 5 seconds in Kumbhaka during Mula Bandha suffices. More is not advisable.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: Hello Sir!

Thank You for your valuable reply.

Earlier I used to do ALL BANDHAS for 20 seconds*4times which is equal to 80 seconds....
Now after your advice, I will do it for 5 seconds*16 times which will also be equal to 80 seconds...is the right way to do moola bandha, jalandhara bandha and also uddiyana bandha?
Also please enlighten us as to why its not favourable to do it for more than 5 seconds? Are there any negative effects (for many days, have been performing for 20 seconds?

The purpose (of pulling up the Prana to the higher chakra-s) gets served at that duration. Anything more is unnecessary and not of benefit.

ॐ तत् सत्

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.