Cellular Phones/AT&T Avail

I am considering purchasing an AT&T Avail as a gift for my wife, to replace her old flip phone. She has a prepaid contract from AT&T, where she pays $100 for 1000 minutes, no data plan. She is interested in a touch screen phone, with WiFi capabilities. She doesn't talk or text much on the phone, but would like to play games, or use the internet a little when she is in a wifi zone.
I read that a downside to the AT&T Avail is that it has limited memory, so I was also considering purchasing an unlocked phone, with more on-board memory. Can you offer some guidance as to what would be the best solution in her situation?

Hi Steve -

I would highly recommend against purchasing anything SIM unlocked to start with and unfortunately, you can't add memory to a cell phone or SmartPhone yourself. Each device has the internal memory that works with the phone and unlike computers, you can't add memory to a phone. You can add an SD card for additional storage space on most non-Apple devices, but that's about it. I would recommend just getting her a device that will allow her to play her games on WiFi or perhaps consider getting her a tablet device for her games and only use the phone for her limited calls, etc. If she really wants a SmartPhone, you can get prepaid with the lowest data plan which is $20.00 a month and because she is mostly on WiFi, she won't go over the 300 MB. Sorry that I didn't have better news for you. Thanks.  

Cellular Phones

I can answer questions on cellular phones, the physical device, the network, contracts, billing, ordering, porting and what to look for when purchasing cell phones. I am located in the United States. I am an expert on BlackBerrys, Treos, HTC devices and iPhones as well as cellphones and aircards. I have over 15 years of experience in both the wireless and wireline world with the carriers. I have a lot of knowledge regarding the wireless providers - their services, prices and policies, both GSM AT&T and T-Mobile) and CDMA (Verizon, Sprint/Nextel). I am very familiar with the individual devices and their specifications. I can also answer questions regarding BlackBerrys, iPhones and other PDAs, both Palm-based and Windows-based. I can troubleshoot most any problem someone is having with their cellular device or with the provider.

Over 20 years in the Telecom industry working for the carriers with individuals, small business, medium business and large corporations(Fortune 500). Also worked as a professor in Maryland for 10 years teaching telecommunications.

I belong to several organizations

Master's in Telecommunications

Received several awards for papers that I have published over the years