Cellular Phones/cell phone hours

I would like to use my cell phone on an emergency-only basis.  Is it possible to buy minutes that won't expire, no monthly charge?

I'm not aware of any wireless carrier who provides for prepaid minutes that don't expire. Unfortunately, they don't structure their rate plans that way. I would suggest that you either buy a minimum number of minutes that expire in 90 days or $100 worth of minutes that expire in 12 months (this is usually the option) and just be sure to try to use these minutes when you can so that you are getting some value out of these minutes that you are paying for. Unfortunately, using a cell phone for just an emergency basis is not what most people do these days so the wireless carriers don't really have plans that accommodate this. It's still less expensive to have a prepaid plan and get the minimum number of minutes every 90 days then to pay a monthly fee which at minimum would be $30.00. I hope this helps.  

Cellular Phones

I can answer questions on cellular phones, the physical device, the network, contracts, billing, ordering, porting and what to look for when purchasing cell phones. I am located in the United States. I am an expert on BlackBerrys, Treos, HTC devices and iPhones as well as cellphones and aircards. I have over 15 years of experience in both the wireless and wireline world with the carriers. I have a lot of knowledge regarding the wireless providers - their services, prices and policies, both GSM AT&T and T-Mobile) and CDMA (Verizon, Sprint/Nextel). I am very familiar with the individual devices and their specifications. I can also answer questions regarding BlackBerrys, iPhones and other PDAs, both Palm-based and Windows-based. I can troubleshoot most any problem someone is having with their cellular device or with the provider.

Over 20 years in the Telecom industry working for the carriers with individuals, small business, medium business and large corporations(Fortune 500). Also worked as a professor in Maryland for 10 years teaching telecommunications.

I belong to several organizations

Master's in Telecommunications

Received several awards for papers that I have published over the years