Cellular Phones/International Text Messaging Issue

Hello Debi.

My cell phone is a Pantech that runs on Verizon and I have a question regarding international text messaging. I can receive and send text messages to Canada, but I can't send text messages from Argentina, although I can receive them. I have family and friends in Argentina and a good friend of mine has been complaining that she has not received my text messages. I find this very frustrating because I am paying the $50 per month plan, with an additional $15 to send international text messages and yet, my friend can't receive them. I went to my local Verizon store and the salesman there told me that it may have to do with the fact that I am using a quasi-blackberry and that I would need a smartphone. In addition, my plan does not usually cover international text messaging, unless I sign up for a 2 year contract. I've done that in the past and I don't want to do that again because I don't like feeling as if I am a prisoner, I like the option to change plans and services on a monthly basis. But at the same time, the company website informed me that it is possible for me to continue with my monthly plan and send international text messages with an additional $15, which I did just that. And then I spoke with a customer service representative and she told me that I should have no problem sending text messages, considering that I have not received an indication that my text messages didn't go through, in fact, it says that my text messages were send without any problems. She then told me that the problem may not be my phone, but it could be my friend's phone.

I am very frustrated at this point because I don't want to sign up for a 2 year contract just to send international text messages, I want to do that without signing up for such services.

1. What do think the problem could be?

Also, I came across this link on international text messaging:

From what I gather, it seems that services such as,, and gizmo sms provide free international text messaging.

2. Do you think this is my best choice? If so, which one would you recommend?

Best regards,

When you send a text message, you don't receive any notification whether or not a text goes through unless you are sending an iMessage through an apple branded device to another apple user. If your friend isn't receiving your texts I would recommend that you ask your friend to send you a text and then you should reply to that text and its very likely it will work properly. You can always receive texts from anywhere but sending texts requires the availability of international texting. If Verizon is requiring a post paid plan to utilize international texting, you can get this without a 2 year term.  The term only relates to when you but a new phone.  However, I think you may be better off using one of these other services that are no charge and then you don't have to worry about any of these issues. I'm not personally familiar with any of them but think it might be a better idea for your situation. Hope this helps.  

Cellular Phones

I can answer questions on cellular phones, the physical device, the network, contracts, billing, ordering, porting and what to look for when purchasing cell phones. I am located in the United States. I am an expert on BlackBerrys, Treos, HTC devices and iPhones as well as cellphones and aircards. I have over 15 years of experience in both the wireless and wireline world with the carriers. I have a lot of knowledge regarding the wireless providers - their services, prices and policies, both GSM AT&T and T-Mobile) and CDMA (Verizon, Sprint/Nextel). I am very familiar with the individual devices and their specifications. I can also answer questions regarding BlackBerrys, iPhones and other PDAs, both Palm-based and Windows-based. I can troubleshoot most any problem someone is having with their cellular device or with the provider.

Over 20 years in the Telecom industry working for the carriers with individuals, small business, medium business and large corporations(Fortune 500). Also worked as a professor in Maryland for 10 years teaching telecommunications.

I belong to several organizations

Master's in Telecommunications

Received several awards for papers that I have published over the years