Cellular Phones/Cell Phone plans

Hi. I'm a Canadian traveling occasionally to Miami for my work. When my wife comes along I'd like her to have an affordable plan. I've got a couple of spare smartphones including one originally from T-Mobile so I'm not worried about the technology. I scanned your answers regarding plans but didn't see my specific question. What plan would you recommend for a 1-week stay in Miami? I once had a T-Mobile monthly plan but it expired after 3 months and I would like to avoid the $50 activation fee. Can you buy $10 sims or something like that? She needs voice, data (for GPS) maybe LD.
Many thanks.

Verizon has a really good US and Canada plan and so does ATT where you can travel between the two countries without roaming charges and can call to Canada also. T mobile is probably the worst carrier for this type of thing but the other large carriers would be a better deal in the long run if you go back and forth. Hope this helps.  

Cellular Phones

I can answer questions on cellular phones, the physical device, the network, contracts, billing, ordering, porting and what to look for when purchasing cell phones. I am located in the United States. I am an expert on BlackBerrys, Treos, HTC devices and iPhones as well as cellphones and aircards. I have over 15 years of experience in both the wireless and wireline world with the carriers. I have a lot of knowledge regarding the wireless providers - their services, prices and policies, both GSM AT&T and T-Mobile) and CDMA (Verizon, Sprint/Nextel). I am very familiar with the individual devices and their specifications. I can also answer questions regarding BlackBerrys, iPhones and other PDAs, both Palm-based and Windows-based. I can troubleshoot most any problem someone is having with their cellular device or with the provider.

Over 20 years in the Telecom industry working for the carriers with individuals, small business, medium business and large corporations(Fortune 500). Also worked as a professor in Maryland for 10 years teaching telecommunications.

I belong to several organizations

Master's in Telecommunications

Received several awards for papers that I have published over the years