Cellular Phones/Deleting/Blocking Texts?

Question
QUESTION: Hi Debi,

I was wondering if it was possible to delete a text message received on an LG Ally cell phone without opening it up.  I was also wondering if it was also possible to block someone from sending me text messages.  The reason I ask this is that I'm getting an awful lot of junk texts and some of them come with attachments.  I don't want to open any of them, particularly the ones with attachments, because I'm wary of viruses invading my phone.  If you need to know, my service provider is Verizon Wireless.

Thanks,

Diane

ANSWER: Yes you can delete text messages without opening them. You also don't have to open attachments. Attachments never open automatically so be sure not to open ones you are concerned about. Viruses rarely infect smartphones so I wouldn't be too concerned but if you are worried, you definitely don't have to open them.  Many phones allow blocking of numbers. Check the settings on your phone and look for call barring or call blocking. Android phones allow for this on most models. Verizon may also be able to block certain numbers for you. Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Hi Debi,

Thanks for clarifying the attachments issue with me.  I'm accustomed to using e-mail clients that will at least "preview" (and thus open) their attachments.  But now my questions are this:  How can you delete text messages without opening them on an LG Ally phone?  And do you know if the blocking works if you're dealing not with a phone number but with something else (e.g. an e-mail address)?

Thanks,

Diane

Answer
You should be able to block via email address.  Add that person to your contacts and then block them with barring. To delete the message before opening just go into the message, press the menu soft key (to the left of the center button) then choose delete message. Hope this helps.  

Cellular Phones

DebiN