Cellular Phones/iPhone 5S contract

Question
I live in india and want to buy an iPhone 5s with AT&T contract from US coz its
cheap. I am currently in the US. I can get it unlocked as soon as i get back to
India by just paying $20 (permanent factory unlock).
But purchasing an AT&t phone requires a US resident and i can purchase that on
my friend's behalf but i'm confused what will happen after i come to india and
about the At&t bill ?

Answer
If you purchase an iPhone from AT&T with a two year contract, you will be held to the monthly charges for 2 years. So if you get a $40 voice plan, $30.00 data plan and $20.00 text plan, you will be held to that amount each month for 24 months. In exchange, you get a $199.99 16GB iPhone 5S (if you go with a 32GB, it's $100 more, if you go with a 5C, it's $99.99). If you cancel your contract after the first 30 days, you will have to pay $315.00 in cancellation penalties (that's $325.00 minus $10.00 per month). Each month you keep the service, the early termination penalty decreases by $10.00. So you can either keep the contract in place for two years and keep the plan or pay the termination fee. Either way, if the intent is just to get the phone, I would recommend just paying full price with no contract. In the long run, it's less expensive. I hope this helps.

Cellular Phones

DebiN