Cellular Phones/switching phones

QUESTION: I have a Samsung flip phone I seldom use, just for emergencies. I'm an old guy and know NOTHING about cell phones so please be patient... I have T-Mobile now, one of the prepaid plans. If and when I need or want to get a different phone but want to keep the same provider, is it just a matter of going to a retail T-Mobile store and buying a new phone and then putting the old SIM card into the new phone? I'm not even sure what a SIM card is, except I think my address book is on there. Or is there more to it than that?  Thanks

ANSWER: No worries at all. When you are ready for a new phone, go to a T-Mobile store and get a new phone. They will provide you with a new SIM card and will copy whatever is on your old phone to your new one for you. Just ask them to do this for you and they will likely offer to anyway. Thanks so much.

QUESTION: Ok thanks. My other question is the opposite...if I wanted to keep my phone but switch to a different provider, other than canceling one and subscribing to another, what is involved as far as the phone goes? Would I need to change the SIM card on that or do anything else to make the phone compatible with the new provider? Thanks again

The SIM card in your phone can only be used with T-Mobile service. If you want to go with another carrier, you can port your current phone number to the new carrier and they will give you a new phone and SIM card if the carrier has GSM. If its Verizon or Sprint or a carrier that doesn't use GSM, a SIM card isn't used. You would only have to get a new number if T-Mobile didn't let you port the number you have today. Hope this helps.  

Cellular Phones

I can answer questions on cellular phones, the physical device, the network, contracts, billing, ordering, porting and what to look for when purchasing cell phones. I am located in the United States. I am an expert on BlackBerrys, Treos, HTC devices and iPhones as well as cellphones and aircards. I have over 15 years of experience in both the wireless and wireline world with the carriers. I have a lot of knowledge regarding the wireless providers - their services, prices and policies, both GSM AT&T and T-Mobile) and CDMA (Verizon, Sprint/Nextel). I am very familiar with the individual devices and their specifications. I can also answer questions regarding BlackBerrys, iPhones and other PDAs, both Palm-based and Windows-based. I can troubleshoot most any problem someone is having with their cellular device or with the provider.

Over 20 years in the Telecom industry working for the carriers with individuals, small business, medium business and large corporations(Fortune 500). Also worked as a professor in Maryland for 10 years teaching telecommunications.

I belong to several organizations

Master's in Telecommunications

Received several awards for papers that I have published over the years