Cellular Phones/Buying a line

Hi. I am currently living abroad for college. And in most vacations, I come to the US.
But because I'm not experienced, I'm asking you.
I still don't have a cellular line here in US. And in order to have one, I have to pay every month certain amount of money to keep the contract. The THING is that I'm abroad most of the time so I don't know why I need to pay when I don't use the line.
I tried using prepaid line before and it's rather inconvinient and somehow expensive. And also if I don't charge for certain period of time, the carrier cancels my line.

So my point is that I need to know if it's possible to maintain a line even if I'm abroad and not using it without having the carrier to cancel it.
If you could refer me to a site where I can find answers , I'd still appreciate.

Just to let you know in case, I'm a citizen of the country.

So what I would recommend is that you suspend your line of service when you are out of the country. Most carriers like Verizon, Sprint and AT&T charge only $10.00 a month to supsend your line up to 6 months at a time. It would cost you a lot less and save you trouble. Contact your carrier to ask them about this. Thanks.  

Cellular Phones

I can answer questions on cellular phones, the physical device, the network, contracts, billing, ordering, porting and what to look for when purchasing cell phones. I am located in the United States. I am an expert on BlackBerrys, Treos, HTC devices and iPhones as well as cellphones and aircards. I have over 15 years of experience in both the wireless and wireline world with the carriers. I have a lot of knowledge regarding the wireless providers - their services, prices and policies, both GSM AT&T and T-Mobile) and CDMA (Verizon, Sprint/Nextel). I am very familiar with the individual devices and their specifications. I can also answer questions regarding BlackBerrys, iPhones and other PDAs, both Palm-based and Windows-based. I can troubleshoot most any problem someone is having with their cellular device or with the provider.

Over 20 years in the Telecom industry working for the carriers with individuals, small business, medium business and large corporations(Fortune 500). Also worked as a professor in Maryland for 10 years teaching telecommunications.

I belong to several organizations

Master's in Telecommunications

Received several awards for papers that I have published over the years