Cellular Phones/samsung SGH-A177 PHONE LOCK

Question

We have a thrift store where I live and I've volunteered to do what I can to ready donated cell phones for sale.  I'm quickly discovering how little I know!

My current problem is a Samsung SGH-A177 (for ATT.  Unlike other Samsung cellphones, this one will do NOTHING without a sim inserted.  Well, not much more than say INSERT SIM.  I bave some old ATT chips, a cojple don't work (POP UP MESSAGE READS:   SIM CRASHED)  and it appears a couple do, althojgn this is where I am stuck. And an odd thing about it is on ly one of the sims that appears to be working is an att cbip; the otrher is a different somewhat obscure service provider.  Would thjs be a hint that the phone might be unlocked?

With either of the two "working" sims inserted, there is a pop up message that reads, 'PHONE LOCK" and on the left hand side "OK" and the right hand side "SOS".   I pujt the cursor in the field .  The only keystrokes that register are numerals and thehy appear on the screen as * (asterisk).  If I enter less than 4 numerals I get a messatge saying "Password too short" and entering four it reads, "wrong password".  

Can this be fixed, that is the phone reset or restored to a time prior to someone creating a LOCK PHONE password?   Is there a default password  (like routers and modems have?)

Thanks for any info you think might help.

Answer
So basically, you need to start with an active AT&T SIM card, meaning that you have to have current service with AT&T to use the phone. Once you have that active service and you insert the SIM card, you can then just type in a password about 10 times and it should eventually tell you that it is going to erase everything and reset. If this doesn't work, you can take the phone to AT&T and ask them to reset it, which they can do for you. Then you will be able to put in your own password to unlock the device. I hope this helps!

Cellular Phones

DebiN