Cellular Phones/Straight Talk iPhone? Later Verizon?

I am about to buy my first iPhone, so please forgive my ignorance.
Straight talk is appealing to me because of the price, but I can only get reliable reception on the Verizon network.  If I buy a CDMA iPhone 5 from Wal-Mart and later decide I don't like the customer service from Straight Talk, would I be able to use that phone (which, as I understand it, has a nano sim card) with  traditional contract service from Verizon, or would I end up with a $750. brick?
How complicated would it be to switch away from the first carrier back to Verizon?
Thank you so much for your help-I have tried every way I know how to find an answer, but I'm not sophisticated enough technologically to understand what I'm reading.  Bless you!

Every phone that you buy is locked to that carrier. So if you buy a phone with Straight Talk, it can only be used with Straight Talk and no other carrier. GSM phones can be SIM unlocked by the carrier but then you have to program the settings for another carrier. For a CDMA phone, they have to be flashed to another carrier and that carrier has to have a similar phone, otherwise, you can't flash to it. In all honesty, my advice is to just go to Verizon and get your phone from them. They have prepaid plans as well as post paid. Go with the carrier who gets you the best service. There are many options for rate plans, so going with the carrier that you know works is the best advice I can give you. I hope this helps.  

Cellular Phones

I can answer questions on cellular phones, the physical device, the network, contracts, billing, ordering, porting and what to look for when purchasing cell phones. I am located in the United States. I am an expert on BlackBerrys, Treos, HTC devices and iPhones as well as cellphones and aircards. I have over 15 years of experience in both the wireless and wireline world with the carriers. I have a lot of knowledge regarding the wireless providers - their services, prices and policies, both GSM AT&T and T-Mobile) and CDMA (Verizon, Sprint/Nextel). I am very familiar with the individual devices and their specifications. I can also answer questions regarding BlackBerrys, iPhones and other PDAs, both Palm-based and Windows-based. I can troubleshoot most any problem someone is having with their cellular device or with the provider.

Over 20 years in the Telecom industry working for the carriers with individuals, small business, medium business and large corporations(Fortune 500). Also worked as a professor in Maryland for 10 years teaching telecommunications.

I belong to several organizations

Master's in Telecommunications

Received several awards for papers that I have published over the years