Cellular Phones/charging a motorola RAZR V3c with a mac

Question
Dear DebiN,

I have 2 questions:

1. My nephew gave me a used RAZR V3C cel that he had.  He couldn't find the charger so I have to charge the phone using a USB cable connected to my iMac.  I downloaded the USB driver from the motorola site but when I plug the phone in a message comes up "unable to charge".  What am I doing wrong?

2. We were told that we would have to get a chip replaced so that we could use our phone number.  we live in a different city than my nephew.  Where do we get this done?

Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hi Ron -

If the device is branded by AT&T or T-Mobile, you will need a SIM card that the carrier will code with a wireless number for you and will start up on a voice rate plan so that you can have service on the phone. In order to charge the phone, they can provide you with a charger. They cost around $15 to $20.00. If the phone is branded by Verizon or Sprint, they will need to activate the phone to work (SIM cards aren't used for these carriers). Same thing about rate plan etc. My honest advice, however, is that a Motorola Razr V3 is a very old device and does not take advantage of the carriers current 4G LTE networks. I might suggest you consider getting a new phone from your carrier of choice. They have many free phones that will be under warranty for 12 months, work well and fast on the network etc. Phones have a very limited lifetime. You can still use your phone number with any phone that is capable with your carrier. If your nephews phone is Verizon and you use AT&T, for example, his phone won't work.

Regarding charging, you unfortunately can't just download drivers because they are specific per carrier. I hope this helps.  

Cellular Phones

DebiN