Cemetery/earth burials in CA

Question
Would you tell me the current status of CA regulations regarding earthen burials in private, religious cemeteries?  Are all counties required to adhere to state regulations or can they form their own?
Thanks,
Laila

Answer
Dear Laila,

With respect to natural earth interments (natural burial = a body buried in a biodegradable container, or none at all, without an outer burial container - OBC), all burials were like that until just a few decades back. There is no State that makes regulations prohibiting a burial without an OBC, nor requiring an OBC.

There is no evidence-backed rationale to support a statute or law requiring an OBC - it does not increase public or environmental safety and, in many cases, may actually harm it, especially long term. The science to prove that to legislative satisfaction is likely many years out, however, and so we're unlikely to see any regulations REQUIRING natural burial in particular soil conditions for some time yet.

Therefore, at this date any requirements for OBC's are part of the rules of the cemetery and can be changed by the cemetery whenever they wish.

You can find providers of natural OBC-free burials listed on various websites. Two commonly used ones are:

http://www.naturalendmap.com
http://www.greenburialcouncil.org

You can find a free natural funeral planner at http://www.naturalburialcompany.com
And I provide some more practical suggestions at http://www.beatree.com

I encourage you to engage cemeteries in the conversation - check out some of my recommendations on my websites for getting cemeteries and funeral directors to give you what you want. If you find one that will accommodate you, be sure to encourage them to sign the Natural End Pledge and get on the map at the link above. It's free, and we'd love to grow the provider list there.

Hope this helped, and thanks for your question!

Cynthia Beal
Natural Burial Company
Cemetery Services

Cemetery

Cynthia Beal