Cemetery/Is there a green cemetery in the Dallas, TX. area?

We are interested in the natural, unembalmed, burial in  bio-degradable container, (shroud or box), in a "green" cemetery benifitting the area. Is there one close to the Dallas area?

Hi there,

There are a handful of cemeteries in Texas that advertise natural burial:

Countryside Memorial Park, Inc
331 Cemetery Lane
La Vernia (San Antonio) TX 78121

Eloise Woods Community
Natural Burial Park
115 Northside Lane
Cedar Creek (Austin) TX 78612

Ethician Family Cemetery
Natural Burial Cemetery
1401 19th Street
Huntsville TX 7734

Our Lady of the Rosary
330 Berry Lane
Georgetown TX 38626

These cemeteries may not be close to you, however, and since this is a VERY new movement in the US, it's worth asking around.

Because there are approximately 40,000 or more operating cemeteries in the US, rather than pick from such a small list that may not be convenient for the memorial purposes of the family, I generally recommend that people contact their local Pioneer and historic cemeteries to find out what cemeteries offer vault-free burial. Your local Dallas history association should know which of your historic cemeteries in the area are still selling grave spaces.

You can also check the local Oddfellows - IOOF -  they run operate a lot of cemeteries in the country, and they're often run by progressive volunteers, many of whom are sympathetic to the desire to have a direct earth burial, and bury without a vault, in a plain pine box or a shroud. In the county where I live, no one was advertising vault-free burial 10 years ago; today, there are probably 20-30+ cemeteries within a 30 mile radius that now do vault-free and are also beginning to work on their habitat and resource management. lists the cemeteries in the Dallas, Texas area:

Dalleas genealogy might be even better, as they're likely to have staff that will be familiar with the local cemeteries:

You can locate them easily on Google Maps - use the satellite/earth view to see their location. Cemeteries that have undeveloped treed areas are good for cemetery habitat support. Municipal cemeteries (run by the cities) are increasingly open to offering natural burial to citizens. If you find a cemetery you like, run by a little township, perhaps, send them to the Lawrence, Kansas cemetery website where a natural burial is the right of any citizen buried there.

Remember, all cemeteries are potential habitat, and ALL cemeteries need your support, since ALL cemeteries are forever! Finding the one that will let you have a vault-free natural burial AND appeals to you and your family, your sense of community and history, and is conveniently located may not be as hard as you think.

Good luck! (And if you find a cemetery that doesn't think it can do this, send them to and tell them to get in touch with me!)

in trees,

Cynthia Beal

Typical questions include 1) Where can I go for a natural burial? 2) What types of coffins, urns and other "packaging" are best for natural decomposition? 3)How do I plan for a natural funeral? 4) Do I have to be embalmed? and other questions in this vein. I'm available to answer general consumer questions about natural burial, home and natural funerals, and sustainable cemetery management. I answer questions about general cemetery matters, and offer suggestions about how to deal with remains, cremated or buried, interment rights, rules for cemeteries and plot owners, covering conventional as well as alternative options. I also answer questions from professionals, home funeral guides, and family members about how to manage a natural funeral either in the mortuary or at the home, how to best use natural coffins and urns, and how to convert cemeteries to natural, sustainable practices. I will answer questions from volunteer cemetery managers about how to offer natural burial in their rural, Pioneer, or non-profit cemeteries. If I don't know an answer I'll refer the questioner to someone who does. DISCLAIMER -- I am a certified pre-need sales person in the State of Oregon. I am not a licensed attorney, tax adviser, estate planner, funeral director, embalmer, accountant, public official, or any other professional that may be associated with issues the question brings up and any answers I provide should not be relied upon if such expertise is required by the asker (as per the All Expert suggestion). I provide my own personal opinions, based on my experience in business, Nature and its systems, and with human beings after 55 years of life on the planet.

Natural burial and sustainable cemetery management experience: I'm the founder of the Natural Burial Company and a member of the Sustainable Cemetery Management Group. Over 25 years in the natural products industry, and 9 years running the Natural Burial Company. I've done some consulting for existing and start-up natural cemetery operations. I'm currently an instructor at Oregon State University, facilitating the creation of a program in sustainable cemetery management and stimulating research in cemetery-oriented processes and functions.

ICCFA - International Cemetery, Crematory and Funeral Association Green Business Network Funeral Consumers Alliance

American Cemetery Magazine; Funeral Business Advisor; Real Goods Source Book; American Funeral Director Magazine, etc.

There is no degree in natural burials or funerals, and no accredited education provided for sustainable cemetery management. We're developing a program at Oregon State University but it hasn't fully launched yet.