Cemetery/cemetery "babylands"

Question
I'm interested in learning the history behind "babylands" at cemeteries. They are sections of many graveyards that are set aside for the graves of infants. Most live less than a year, although some live a few years -- up to 5. We have several of these areas in cemeteries in the Omaha metro area, and most appear to have started in the mid- to late-50s. I'm wondering if it became a "fad" at that time, or what is behind them? Do you know anyone I could call and ask? (I'm a newspaper reporter in Omaha and I'm working on a story about these places._

Thanks.

Answer
Hi Betsy,

What an interesting question (and please post the link here once you finish your story!).

I don't know the history of "Babylands" in the US. What I DO know is that in one of my cemeteries the "Babyland" section was established in 1971 - that's when the oldest baby burials in this section are. (Our oldest burials are from the early 1850's and there are infant burials in other parts of the cemetery but Babyland dates to 1971.)  

I was told the Babyland spaces were free and that was considered a way for the cemetery to 1) support people in the community facing an uncommon and traumatic experience and 2) connect with families who might then want other family members to be buried there in the future - so, a little marketing and a little community service.

Following your lead, I did some internet research and show that some cemeteries have Babylands as far back as 1880, so I doubt it was a "fad" per se; it seems to be a really practical way to address the special needs of infants who need to be buried. They don't have big caskets; they don't require lots of room; they usually don't have large funerals or large gatherings - so they can be in parts of the cemetery that are better suited for this.

I was in a cemetery in Nevada recently, near an Air Force Base. I photographed the Babyland there because of how many babies were buried there - it seemed like 5-10% of the cemetery's occupied space was Babyland. Each of the graves had a faded wooden flower on a dowel stem; most of them were from the 50's. The cemetery also had a large memorial that consisted of a number of missiles standing upright around an American flag, and I had to wonder if I was looking at the graves of fallout babies.

There's space to post follow-ups below so feel free to tell us what you learn.

Hope that helped some!

in trees,

Cynthia

Cemetery

Cynthia Beal