Cemetery/green burial around Dallas, Texas

I would like to pre-plan a green burial.  I live in the Dallas, Texas area.  Are there any plans that you know of to offer this service in this area?

Hi Beverly,

As far as a "green" burial goes, I'm always at a loss to answer that question because everyone's definition of the word 'green' is different, and my "green" is a lot stricter than most!

That said, there are a few places in Texas that bury biodegradable coffins and urns without an outer burial container, and that's the main thing you need if you need a place to go now.

I know that Eloise Woods in Austin is getting rave reviews:
They offer natural burial for people and pets, and the woman who runs the place is a delight.

Countryside Memorial Park is near San Antonio:

Our Lady of the Rosary is in Georgetown:

The Ethician Family Cemetery is near Huntsville

Luckily, more and more cemeteries are offering natural burial - again, burial of a biodegradable coffin or shroud without an outer burial container - all over the country. Many small pioneer cemeteries will do so if you ask them, especially if you offer to pay a few hundred dollars extra for any additional maintenance required and do that in advance, when you buy your plot.

If you do that, make sure you specify that you want a natural burial, that your grave isn't deeper than 36" (if they'll allow that), and that there is to be no outer burial container.

And if you don't find a place yet, keep looking and ask, ask, ask so that other cemeteries see that there's a demand -- your place will come!

With respect to pre-planning your FUNERAL (what happens to you BEFORE the burial or cremation, i.e., the disposition), make sure that your wishes are stated very clearly in your folder, as well, and that significant family members who may have control over your disposition after you die are clear on your desires.

There's a free natural funeral planner that you can download off the Natural Burial Company's website - - and that may help you with some more of the questions that aren't talked about very often but turn out to be critical to having your last acts reflect YOUR deeply held values instead of someone else's.

Hope that helped!!

Cynthia Beal

Typical questions include 1) Where can I go for a natural burial? 2) What types of coffins, urns and other "packaging" are best for natural decomposition? 3)How do I plan for a natural funeral? 4) Do I have to be embalmed? and other questions in this vein. I'm available to answer general consumer questions about natural burial, home and natural funerals, and sustainable cemetery management. I answer questions about general cemetery matters, and offer suggestions about how to deal with remains, cremated or buried, interment rights, rules for cemeteries and plot owners, covering conventional as well as alternative options. I also answer questions from professionals, home funeral guides, and family members about how to manage a natural funeral either in the mortuary or at the home, how to best use natural coffins and urns, and how to convert cemeteries to natural, sustainable practices. I will answer questions from volunteer cemetery managers about how to offer natural burial in their rural, Pioneer, or non-profit cemeteries. If I don't know an answer I'll refer the questioner to someone who does. DISCLAIMER -- I am a certified pre-need sales person in the State of Oregon. I am not a licensed attorney, tax adviser, estate planner, funeral director, embalmer, accountant, public official, or any other professional that may be associated with issues the question brings up and any answers I provide should not be relied upon if such expertise is required by the asker (as per the All Expert suggestion). I provide my own personal opinions, based on my experience in business, Nature and its systems, and with human beings after 55 years of life on the planet.

Natural burial and sustainable cemetery management experience: I'm the founder of the Natural Burial Company and a member of the Sustainable Cemetery Management Group. Over 25 years in the natural products industry, and 9 years running the Natural Burial Company. I've done some consulting for existing and start-up natural cemetery operations. I'm currently an instructor at Oregon State University, facilitating the creation of a program in sustainable cemetery management and stimulating research in cemetery-oriented processes and functions.

ICCFA - International Cemetery, Crematory and Funeral Association Green Business Network Funeral Consumers Alliance

American Cemetery Magazine; Funeral Business Advisor; Real Goods Source Book; American Funeral Director Magazine, etc.

There is no degree in natural burials or funerals, and no accredited education provided for sustainable cemetery management. We're developing a program at Oregon State University but it hasn't fully launched yet.