Cemetery/burial sites

Question
i would like to know where in Massachusetts you can be buried as ashes w/seeds for a tree or natural burial?

Answer
Hi there,

Thanks for your question, Nancy.

1) Burying cremated remains in a forest is really easy so you're in luck - you can bury cremated remains anywhere on any private property, with permission from the landowner. There is no public health OR environmental reason to track the burial of cremated remains - they are benign, the cause of death has already been determined, and you can send them into space or put them in glass, or bury in the forest, as you will.

2) We NEVER recommend planting seeds with cremated remains. First, trees rarely germinate from seeds and those that do often have a hard time surviving (that's why trees make so many seeds!!). It's no fun when a tree planted in someone's memory fails to thrive, so we suggest a LOT of care goes into selecting, and then tending, a tree like this.

3) If you want a tree associated with a burial, plant a 2-3 year old sapling - in the FALL!!! - and bury the cremated remains NEXT to it, NOT UNDER IT. Cremated remains are not that nutritious - they're more like a condiment (unless you mix them into the soil) and the tree will be much happier growing into them if they're a little off to the side.

If you want to be buried in a cemetery, ask the cemetery you LIKE if they'll bury cremated remains in association with a tree sapling. Many don't yet, but many ARE thinking about it, and some of them might say yes.

Failing that, visit links like the ones I've listed here to see the names of cemeteries in the area that may accommodate what you want...

Natural End Map
www.naturalendmap.com

Green Burial Council
www.greenburialcouncil.com

My own cemeteries accept cremated remains from anywhere in the world. We have different natural programs getting started for tree, fern and living plant memorials, so if you're ever interesting in burial in Oregon you can contact us for more information about our offerings as they get underway.

http://www.oakhillonline.com
http://www.restlawnonline.com

Hope that helped!

Cynthia

Cemetery

Cynthia Beal