Cemetery/Memorial Forest

I read somewhere online that there is a place where the trees that have grown from cremains are maintained in a forest.  These trees are carefully cared for and their growth can be viewed online by family & friends.  I've lost the link. Do you have an idea where this place is???

Hi Joaney,

Because cremated remains are pretty easy to bury just about anywhere that you've got permission to do so, there are a lot of places where you can do that that aren't officially cemeteries.

You're probably thinking of Eco Eternity Forests - they've done a lot of promotion about their firm and they specialize in cremated remains in forests. Here's a link to them on the Natural End Map:

I've got a couple of cemeteries in Oregon, and we've just opened the Fern Forest Garden, where cremated remains are used to re-establish native-understory species in a doug fir woodlot that's being re-worked.

There are a lot of options now for burial of cremated remains, so you're in luck. You can check the "Where to Go" section of the Natural End Map, and googling "natural burial" and "cremated remains" will get you a lot of results, too.

in trees,

Cynthia, at Natural Burial Company  

Cynthia Beal

Typical questions include 1) Where can I go for a natural burial? 2) What types of coffins, urns and other "packaging" are best for natural decomposition? 3)How do I plan for a natural funeral? 4) Do I have to be embalmed? and other questions in this vein. I'm available to answer general consumer questions about natural burial, home and natural funerals, and sustainable cemetery management. I answer questions about general cemetery matters, and offer suggestions about how to deal with remains, cremated or buried, interment rights, rules for cemeteries and plot owners, covering conventional as well as alternative options. I also answer questions from professionals, home funeral guides, and family members about how to manage a natural funeral either in the mortuary or at the home, how to best use natural coffins and urns, and how to convert cemeteries to natural, sustainable practices. I will answer questions from volunteer cemetery managers about how to offer natural burial in their rural, Pioneer, or non-profit cemeteries. If I don't know an answer I'll refer the questioner to someone who does. DISCLAIMER -- I am a certified pre-need sales person in the State of Oregon. I am not a licensed attorney, tax adviser, estate planner, funeral director, embalmer, accountant, public official, or any other professional that may be associated with issues the question brings up and any answers I provide should not be relied upon if such expertise is required by the asker (as per the All Expert suggestion). I provide my own personal opinions, based on my experience in business, Nature and its systems, and with human beings after 55 years of life on the planet.

Natural burial and sustainable cemetery management experience: I'm the founder of the Natural Burial Company and a member of the Sustainable Cemetery Management Group. Over 25 years in the natural products industry, and 9 years running the Natural Burial Company. I've done some consulting for existing and start-up natural cemetery operations. I'm currently an instructor at Oregon State University, facilitating the creation of a program in sustainable cemetery management and stimulating research in cemetery-oriented processes and functions.

ICCFA - International Cemetery, Crematory and Funeral Association Green Business Network Funeral Consumers Alliance

American Cemetery Magazine; Funeral Business Advisor; Real Goods Source Book; American Funeral Director Magazine, etc.

There is no degree in natural burials or funerals, and no accredited education provided for sustainable cemetery management. We're developing a program at Oregon State University but it hasn't fully launched yet.