Chemistry (including Biochemistry)/Conversions with Two Factors

Question

I am having trouble figuring problems with two factors. I understand how to do individual conversions, but that is all. Here is an example of the type of problems I am trying to do:

The radius of a strontium atom is 215 pm. How many strontium atoms would have to be laid side by side to span a distance of 2.22 mm?

I know how to change pm to mm, but I don't understand what to do in this case because it  is 2.22mm rather than just one. Would I multiply by 2.22? Also, since the radius is 215pm, do I need to multiply it by two to get the diameter.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Answer
Setting up the conversion is similar, you just need to use 215 and 2.22 as scalars:

First lets get the radius into meters

215 pm * 1 m / 10^12 pm = 2.15 * 10^-10 m

then, because radius is half of the diameter, we need to convert to the total width (diameter)

2.15 * 10^-10 m/radius * 2 radius/diameter = 4.30 * 10^-10 m/diameter

Now lets convert the distance 2.22 mm into meters

2.22 mm * 1 m / 10^3 mm = 2.22 * 10^-3 m

Since we are asked how many diameters are in this distance:

distance/diameter -OR-

2.22 * 10^-3 m / 4.30 * 10^-10 m/diameter = 5.16219 * 10^6 diameters

remembering that each diameter is one atom and using sig figs, this puts us at

5.16 * 10^6 atoms

or about 5 million

I hope this walk through helps!

Take care!  

Chemistry (including Biochemistry)

Dr. Jeffery Raymond