Chemistry (including Biochemistry)/Solubility of gases

Question
Why do the solubility of gases, strong acids and bases, and chemicals such as NaSO4and CaSO4, decrease as the temperature increases?

Thank you~:)

Answer
Hello Gen!

In water, the solubility of gases decreases as the temperature increases. (In organic nonpolar solvents it is the opposite; check out the chemwiki article from UC Davis for more on that.)

This alteration in solubility is related to the second law of thermodynamics: in this case, we're talking about the total energy of the system affecting its entropy. Water that has a lot of O2, N2, or CO2 in it is a polar solution that has nonpolar gases knocking about inside. Try to imagine pure water as a series of vibrating, bent molecules tumbling over one another, like a flattish letter V. The two ends of the V are somewhat positively charged, and the middle is somewhat negatively charged. Neither charged bit of the V 'likes' rubbing up against the pill-shaped gas molecules. The waters want to play only with other waters, so they try and push the gases away from themselves, which ends up being together with other gases in clumps.

Clumped gases result in a solution that is highly ordered. Highly ordered solutions means less entropy in the system. Less entropy is not a favored state, and any inputs of energy would go directly to increasing the entropy in the system.

In a solution that is cold, the water molecules tumble much more slowly. This means that they cannot 'reject' the gas molecules as efficiently, because the waters are lazy and sluggish. So more gas can stay within the water because the water is too 'lazy' to kick it out. The heat energy of the system is not enough to overcome the entropy of waters not liking rubbing up against gases.

In a warm solution, water molecules tumble quickly. Because of this, they can organize themselves very well, and push all the gas molecules together and ultimately bubble out of the solution. The heat energy of the system facilitates rapid water movement and expulsion of gas.

Polar ions such as strong acids and basis, or salts, associate well with charged water molecules. A drop in solubility with increasing temperature may have more to do with the boiling point of water making the water leave the solution. :)

Does this make sense? Feel free to follow up if I can be more help. Apologies this is late.

Articles I referenced that may help comprehension:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water
http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physical_Chemistry/Physical_Properties_of_Matter/Sol

Chemistry (including Biochemistry)

Trista Robichaud, PhD