Chemistry (including Biochemistry)/Ethanol to methanol question?

Can ethanol be converted to methanol? I mixed vodka and tequila with gatorade in a plastic bottle a week ago and has been kept at room temperature? My queation is could this have been converted to methanol? Is it still safe to drink? Please help i would like to drink

Please refer to my previous answer on why not to do this.

More specifically, I do not think that ethanol conversion to methanol would be the major problem.  The issue is in the use of a plastic bottle that has not been tested against both ethanol, sugar and salt exposure simultaneously.

With that said, you do have all of the ingredients typically used in conversion of methanol to ethanol in that bottle:  Alkaline and alkali ions, halogen ions, various organics(both the sugar and anything leeched from the bottle) including whatever was in your booze.  

As most reactions can go both ways (eg if A goes to B then B can usually go to A as well), the possibility of a small amount of methanol is a possibility.

My opinion stands:  do not drink this particular cocktail.

Chemistry (including Biochemistry)

Dr. Jeffery Raymond

Materials chemistry. Materials science. Spectroscopy. Polymer science. Physical Chemistry. General Physics. Technical writing. General Applied Mathematics. Nanomaterials. Optoelectronic Behavior. Science Policy.

Teaching: General Inorganic Chemistry I & II, Organic Chemistry I & II, Physical Chemistry I, Polymeric Materials, General Physics I, Calculus I & II
My prior experience includes the United States Army and three years as a development chemist in industry. Currently I am the Assistant Director of the Laboratory for Synthetic Biological Interactions. All told, 13 years of experience in research, development and science education.

Texas A&M University, American Chemical Society, POLY-ACS, SPIE

Journal of the American Chemical Society, Nanoletters, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, Ultramicroscopy Proceedings of SPIE, Proceedings of MRS, Polymer News, Chemical and Engineering News, Nano Letters, Small,, Angewandte

PhD Macromolecular Science and Engineering (Photophysics/Nanomaterials Concentration), MS Materials Science, BS Chemistry and Physics, Graduate Certificate in Science Policy, AAS Chemical Technology, AAS Engineering Technology