Chemistry (including Biochemistry)/Picking Your Focus

Question
QUESTION: Hi! This isn't really a homework or theory question. I'm a sophomore chemistry major, and I'm trying to begin to sort out what I want to focus on in chemistry. Right now I am thinking about biochemistry, physical chemistry, electrochemistry, and environmental chemistry. Organic chemistry hasn't been really interested to me so far.

I was wondering what advice you would give to someone who is starting to think about what road they want to go down. I like the math in chemistry, but I'm also interested in the enzymes and chemicals in the body. Likewise things like electricity and energy also interest me.

Any general wisdom or advice you have about figuring this out would be great. Thank you!

ANSWER: Hi Chris!

Tough choices! A couple things to think about, and remember that you don't have to decide everything perfectly the first time.

Hopefully this semester you're taking physical chemistry. The intense math focus of physical chemistry may appeal to you; if it does, I'd suggest physical and electrochemistry.

If you take physical chemistry and aren't too fond of it, then I'd recommend biochemistry. You'll still need the physical chem principles for biochemistry, after all.

I could see either track serving you well for environmental chemistry; you'd just come at it from differing angles.

A couple notes.

I'm involved in academic research. If your interest lies there, even given the long hours, intense competition, and low pay, then at least taking a biochemistry course may be exceptionally handy. The National Institute of Health is the main medical granting agency in the US, and if you can make your chemistry biological and disease related, you'll be in a great place to win grant funding or work in a biotech startup.

If your interest lies in a non-biological path, I'd recommend talking to some of the other experts for their perspective; I'm an academic PhD in biochemistry, after all. You may not need a PhD to succeed exceptionally well in industry, for example.

Good luck!

QUESTION: Thank you for the advice! I was wondering if I could just ask what you think about the job prospects in biochemistry and chemistry right now. Everything I have read online has said run to the hills when it comes to graduate school and any form of chemistry. Academia definitely appeals to me, although I'm willing to work in industry if there isn't an opportunity in academia.

Guess I don't mind making sacrifices with grad school as trying to learn more about chemistry, but I don't want to be jumping off of a cliff, if that makes sense. I do want to have a family at some point and enjoy a personal life, although I am okay with making some sacrifices during grad school.

Thank you so much for your help with my last question and any help with this one (promise it's my last one)!

Answer
Hi Chris!

As a biochemistry jobseeker, I can tell you the answer is usually 'All you need is one.' Other than that, I don't have any easy answers. No one does.

My best advice? Try a bunch of stuff. Be creative. Figure out what interests you, gets you going, makes you want to keep learning. Do that. Think about how you'll manage to get paid for it. Keep doing it. If you can keep getting paid a living wage to do it, let the joy that fires you carry you through. (There may be a moonlighting phase where you do something else to get off the ground. That happens.)

What will help - experience. Talk to the people in the field that are near you. See if you can get a voluntary or paid internship. Get experience in what interests you however you can. If there aren't people near you, figure out how to do it on your own. Talk to high school and college instructors for help, as well as local businesses. Do things and tell others about them so you can put them on your resume. Get fired up and make things happen.

Connect to scientists and chemists on Twitter. @chemjobber, @drugmonkeyblog, @drisis, and @DoctorZen are good starts. Find people that interest you, or a disease that interests you, and start there.

Consider that there are careers in government and policy as well as simple academia and industry. If enviro and health concerns really appeal to you, consider volunteering for some public policy programs or local politicians as an advisor. There will always be a demand for folks that can explain chemistry well to the people who make the laws. Go to www.usajobs.gov and type in 'student'. You may be eligible for one or more programs that can really give you a boost to something different and interesting. Apply to that stuff. Make sure you follow all the instructions to the letter, and try sending it in twice. (As in, if you really want it, apply again once after they reject you.)

Speaking out of my butt... don't spend more than 10 minutes a day listening to your inner voice (or other's voices) that says 'I can't do this'. You probably can do it, you'll just need to figure out if you want to change your life enough to get there. You may discover you don't love it 'enough' or you need money to support a family. That's ok. Things change. Chemists aren't dumb. You can work around it and find your happy.

Good luck. It's a jungle out there. :)

Chemistry (including Biochemistry)

Trista Robichaud, PhD