Chemistry (including Biochemistry)/2,3,7,8 tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin

Question
QUESTION: Oncologist stated the chemical structure of agent orange is composed of benzene rings and it is as likely as not, that exposure to agent orange is tantamount to exposure to benzene.

Armed Forces Pest Management Board says no, that doctor is wrong about benzene.

Question: who is right ? who is wrong ? WHY ??

3D 2,3,7,8 tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin
3D 2,3,7,8 tetrachloro  
3D Benzene
3D Benzene  
ANSWER: Hi Tom!

I think your doctor is partly right, and the Armed Forces Pest Management Board is right on a technicality. (Sneaky, no?)

Why is this?

Our understanding of benzene is that it a ring of six carbon atoms bonded each to each. The carbons in question each have one hydrogen atom poking off of it like teeth from a gear. If we map the electron density around a benzene, it averages out to a balloon like disc structure.
(See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzene and below)

Why is benzene hazardous to your health?

1) Benzene is very non polar, or grease loving as opposed to water loving. Most biological compounds are polar or charged, and interact with water.

2) Because cellular barriers are non polar to keep water in, and benzene is non polar, it can slip between cellular barriers. If there's enough of it around, it can dissolve cellular barriers entirely. This is Not Good for the cell in question. (POP!)

3) Benzene's 3D shape and electron sharing habits make it so that it can slip between the base pairs of your DNA and hide there easily. Nucleic acid bases in DNA stack together like two towers of non polar half-coins, surrounded by a polar sugar and phosphate backbone. If you slip extra 'coins' in the stack, it creates lots of problems for the enzymes that read and copy the DNA. This results in lots more mutations than the cellular DNA error fixing enzymes can keep up with, and your chances for developing cancer skyrocket. (Uh oh)

So why is the AFPMB right on a technicality? Scientists and Army guys are very specific. If you ask them if there is benzene in something, they will look for evidence that C6H6 is there, and C6H6 alone. If they cannot find C6H6 in the sample, then there is none in there. End of story.

Why is your doctor partly right?

Agent Orange (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange_) is made primarily of two compounds, and is often contaminated by a third. These two compounds are 2,4,5-Trichlorophenoxyacetic acid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,4,5-T) and 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,4-D), with the contaminant 2,3,7,8 tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzodioxin) you first asked about.

I'd suggest opening each of those wiki links and looking at the structures. We see attached to each chemical a familiar looking ring of six carbons arranged in a disc. However, because those rings aren't the entire compound, chemists, scientists, and Army guys do not consider that benzene. (The technicality.)

Your doctor and I know that because of the ring/gear shape, however, these compounds can still sneak through cell membranes and interfere with DNA base stacking. So the Agent Orange compounds will still hurt you in the same manner as benzene does, especially the double-wide version that is 2,3,7,8 tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin. Those chlorines on the end and the oxygens hooking it together make it an even better 'substitute coin' that would interfere with a DNA stack.

Does this make sense? :) Let me know. In any case, don't go around drinking any Agent Orange. It will do you a mischief for sure.

Links for the two images in case the upload didn't work:

3D Benzene: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/Benzene-3D-vdW.png

Agent Orange Main ingredients: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Agent_Orange.svg

Contaminant: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dioxin-3D-vdW.png

QUESTION: In 2008, I was diagnosed with Myelodysplastic Syndrome.  I filed a claim with the VA as I am a Vietnam Veteran.  My Oncologist/Hemotologist provided me with a letter stating that he had reviewed my medical history during my service in Vietnam.  He also stated it is his understanding that during that period I was exposed to Agent Orange.  He then wrote the chemical structure of Agent Orange is composed of Benzene Rings and is as likely as not that exposure to Agent Orange is tantamount to exposure to Benzene.  Benzene is a documented causative agent in the developement of Myelodysplasia.  It is my professional opinion that it is as likely as it is not that Mr. Spivey's exposure to Agent Orange is responsible for his3subsequent development of Myelodysplasia.  

The VA requested and got a report from AFPMB.  Based on this report they denied the claim stating the Dr. was all wrong and did not explain thoroughly why or how of his position.

With your expertise, would you, could you rebut this report supporting the Dr's position?  It would have to be strong enough for their review and understandable for the court.  If this is possible, I certainly would be happy to compensate you  what you feel is appropriate for this effort on my behalf.

My contact information is Tom Spivey,  

Answer
Hello Tom;

Let me know what the requirements would be; I am experienced in chemistry but not in law. I'm not sure I can help you, though I'm willing to give it a go.

I live in Houston, also, which may be a bit of a commute. ;)

I am also not a medical doctor (MD), though I was employed as a medical researcher for the last ten years.

If your lawyer could come up with an example for me to follow that won its case, that would be excellent in writing up a document for the court.

Good luck sir!

Chemistry (including Biochemistry)

Trista Robichaud, PhD