Chemistry (including Biochemistry)/Ice and heat reaction

Question
Hi Jeffery,

I do not know if this is the right place where I should ask but I would be very happy if you can help me.

Every time we boil water to make the meat softer were always a debate between I my relatives and I.

They say that if you put ice to the boiling water, there will be a reaction HOT vs COLD which will make the meat tender faster.

Is there a scientific explanation to this? Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon.

Bernard

Answer
So, the ice may help, but it is not a hot-cold reaction.  The truth is that slower cooking at temperatures below boiling will generally result in a lower extent of protein contraction - the process by which a meat becomes tough.

This means that by adding ice you are just regulating the meat to a lower temperature... you can get the same effect by just using lower temp water.  

As a side note, freezing then thawing meat over and over will make meat softer, but not in the good way - it will result in cells rupturing and much of the flavor being lost.

Take care! I hope this helps!

Chemistry (including Biochemistry)

Dr. Jeffery Raymond